Howard
Howard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Over 20 Years of Experience in auto repair; owner of Duncan's Mobile Automotive, LLC for 7 yrs
6712554

The rear brakes on my 2004 neon are locked up like the parking

Customer Question

The rear brakes on my 2004 neon are locked up like the parking brake is on. I left the lights on yesterday and had to put the charger on my battery. Did I blow a fuse or something. the brakes weren't locked when I parked it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Howard replied 5 years ago.
Hello, did you set the parking brake when you left it and was it raining?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no I did not set the parking brake but yes it was raining. by putting the charger on fast charge did I maybe set off something in the security system?
Expert:  Howard replied 5 years ago.
The reason I asked did you set the parking brake and if it was raining because I've seen them lock up because of rain and being set. Charging the battery or the security system has nothing to do with the rear brakes. So when you drive forward the rear wheels are dragging? Both of them?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it appears to be just the left one and the brake light is not lit on the dash and when you pull the e.brake handle it lights.
Expert:  Howard replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I would like for you to take the wheel off the locked up wheel. Tap on the brake drum with a hammer to break it loose and you should be good. Hit it until it breaks loose don't hammer too hard though. Let me know how it goes. Thanks
Howard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Over 20 Years of Experience in auto repair; owner of Duncan's Mobile Automotive, LLC for 7 yrs
Expert:  Howard replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry that you felt the need to leave negative feedback without letting me know that you were not happy with my response. If your question was not answered to your satisfaction, I wish you had not accepted the answer and had let me know, and I would have been happy to work with you until I made sure that you were satisfied with my advice. Also, I would have much preferred having you not accept the answer than to have my feedback affected. We work very hard here at Just Answer to make sure our customers are satisfied and our feedback is very important. In the future, please do not accept an expert's answer if you are not satisfied with their response as your satisfaction is paramount. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry about the feedback. I am not sure how this works or how long you have to accept the answer or if the system automatically debits my account after so much time and the answer didn't work as the old " hit it with a hammer" does fail. I took the console apart in the car to get at the e.brake cable and it is tight with the lever down. I managed to get the cables off the connector(took the tension spring off its hook) and moved both cables back and forth to get the activator to release but still locked.
Expert:  Howard replied 5 years ago.
Hello, have you looked under the car to make sure you didn't run over something which has pulled the cable under-neath the car maybe. I'm like you I don't understand why your brake just locked up over night. Especially when it wasn't locked up when you parked it. Have you physically looked at the cable underneath the car all the way back to the drum? No problem about the negative I'm sorry what I suggested didn't work. Sometimes problems with cars take time and different tactics to solve a problem. If I was right there it wouldn't be a problem, but unfortunately I can't see the car so I'll work with you and help you as much as I can. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have the car up on a jack in my shop now. No nothing under the car. I have the console in the car apart to get at the e.brake and it was tight so shoes worn to no more adjuster of course. I still can't get the drum to turn as the adjuster is all the way out and the stupid starwheel of course is being stubborn. Is it safe to spray some penetrating oil on it to free it. I have done a fair amount of drum and disc brake jobs and never had to spray the starwheel but this one has shallow groves and it is tight and rusty.

Expert:  Howard replied 5 years ago.
Yes, go ahead an spray some penetrating oil to try and free the starwheel and see if this gives any result. Let me know :)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
on the drivers side wheel I'll want to rotate it from the top down right? And is it the same on the passenger side? just want to make sure I'm going the right way to loosen it. thanks.
Expert:  Howard replied 5 years ago.
I am not at my computer with all my literature right now. Look inside with a flashlight and look at the way the teeth are on the start. The teeth are curved so you can adjust the star without the screwdriver slipping. You want to go the way where the screwdriver is hardest to stay on the teeth if this make sense. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok I'll look and try in the morning and let you know. I hope I can get it.
Expert:  Howard replied 5 years ago.

Good luck; let me know how it goes; I'm here for you :) Regards, Howard

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hey Howard,

I got it off and first time I ever saw this in all the drum brakes I have done. The front lining had come loose from the shoe on both sides. Got the new shoes and checked all the hardware and put em back together. getting the e.brake back together without the proper joining tool was a pain but two small screwdrivers did it to rotate the wheel to get the cables reconnected. took her out after i bled the brakes, set em up and it works just like new. Thanks for your help. It's late and I got to get to bed. I'll do the accept tomorrow when I get home from work and give you some postive feedback. Again I am sorry for the negative, but now I know how this works and I want to make it right.

Thank you,

Michael

Expert:  Howard replied 5 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

I am so happy that you got the car fixed. Sometimes you see things you never dreamed; I had a lady one time who turned her car off and the car kept running; quite a challenge to figure that one out :) Do me a favor; if you could just let management at Just Answer know about our problem with the negative feedback and that we got things worked out; maybe they would be willing to retract it; that's all I want. If you should ever need anything else in the future, I would love to help you and you can request me if you should like. Best wishes and enjoy your weekend :) Regards, Howard

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I took the car to work today and It ran and braked just like new. Thanks for your help and I sent that retraction request to customer service. Hope to work with you again in the future if I need help. Also, am I supposed to pay again Howard? When I clicked accept it said I already paid for the answer and do I wish to pay for the second answer.

Thank you,

Michael L. Meador

Expert:  Howard replied 5 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

I am thrilled you have "your baby" back up and running :) My wife's car is a 1989 Ford Probe GT that she bought herself as a graduation present from college. She's been driving it ever since and has 306,000 miles on it!! I know how frustrating it is when you can't get your car to work right. Don't worry about paying; if you could just get he negative feedback erased, that would make my day. Anytime you should need help in the future, please feel free to request me and it would be my pleasure to work with you. Hope you have great week! Regards, Howard

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am trying to get it erased but admin has not contacted me yet. meanwhile I'll put some positive on and maybe that will help. The car is running great now. I just have to finish cleaning it up before my wife beats me. Thanks again.

Michael.

Expert:  Howard replied 5 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

The negative feedback has been erased and your positive feedback is up :) Thank you so much! Please let me know if I can help you in any way in the future; it would be my pleasure. Have a wonderful week! Regards, Howard