sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. It make a grinding noise when

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. It make a grinding noise when i take a left hand turn, what could it be

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

When do you get this noise? Is it something that happens when you are sitting still and you turn the steering wheel, or is it a something that happens while you are driving down the road and swerve left and right a little?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is when i am driving but it doesnt really do it when i am turning right. only left. wheather i am switching lanes or acually taking a right hand turn. it will do it. it just started about a week ago or so. the noise isnt a pitching noise but more of a grinding. but it will not do it when i am stationary
Ok great. That's what I thought you had going on. This sounds like it should be wheel bearing noise. When you turn side to side going down the road it will put more load on the wheel you are turning into and take some load off the other wheel. This will make the noise come and go, as you've found. This is about the only thing that will cause the problem you are having. With the noise happening when you turn left, its more likely to be the right front bearing causing the problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is this an easy job for me to do it myself. and how expensive is the wheel bearing.

Its not horrible, but you may need a special puller to get it off. You have to remove the brake caliper and rotor, the axle nut (VERY tight, a couple hundred ft lbs), and then the bearing can come off. It will be rusted into the knuckle, so you may need to drive it out with a sledgehammer, air hammer, or a special puller made just for pulling these out.

Hear is a link to the bearing at Napa. You may be able to find one cheaper at an Autozone, Pep Boys, Advance, etc.