Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

Dodge: had a bad air intake heater relay..engine bay] had corroded

Customer Question

My '92' Dodge had a bad air intake heater relay when I bought it two years ago. One side of the relay,[The tower closest to the front of the engine bay] had corroded in half and lost connection. I replaced it and now it seems that this has happened again less than two years later.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Dodge. Usually corrosion at the relay studs where the terminal connects is caused by excessive heat due to either excessive current draw from the heater grid, or a loose connection. This time replace the relay again, make sure that the eyelet on the wire that connects to the relay is clean and tight, and you may also want to consider replacing the heater grid under the intake plenum also. This is not a common problem that I see (although I have seen it in the past and it was due to loose connections at the relay). Another thing to consider is after you replace the relay/clean connections etc. apply some RTV silicone onto the relay studs where the wires connect. This will help seal that area and help protect it from further corrosion.

Hope this information helps. Let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When I replaced the relay the first time, I cleaned the terminals and placed anti-corrosive grease on the terminals. Also, the relay [first or second] did'nt corrode at the eyelet. It corroded halfway down inside the relay. You could'nt tell anything by just looking, you had to twist the connector. I'll test the current draw from the heater grid. Thanks for the help
Expert:  Chris replied 7 years ago.

You are welcome. Thank you for the accept.