moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp
13195827

2003 dodge ram 3500: I need an exploded view of the nv5600

I need an exploded view of the nv5600 for my 2003 dodge ram 3500 diesel. where can i find one?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.

DISASSEMBLY

NOTE: Use Fixture 8241 for moving and handling the transmission. The fixture supports the transmission at the center of gravity in order to ease mounting the transmission into the build fixture.

1. Mount the transmission into Fixture 8230 (TRANSMISSION FIXTURE).
  2. Rotate the transmission to the horizontal position, if necessary.
  3. Remove the shift tower (REMOVE SHIFT TOWER) and isolator plate (SHIFT TOWER ISOLATOR PLATE).
  4. Remove primary shift rail detent plug (PRIMARY SHIFT RAIL DETENT PLUG).
  5. Remove primary shift rail detent spring (PRIMARY SHIFT RAIL DETENT SPRING).
  6. Remove primary shift rail detent plunger (PRIMARY SHIFT RAIL DETENT PLUNGER).
  7. Remove clutch housing bolts (10) (CLUTCH HOUSING BOLTS) from inside the housing.
  8. Remove shift rail blocker bolt (SHIFT RAIL BLOCKER BOLT) from the side of the transmission gear case.

EXTENSION/ADAPTER HOUSING

1. Remove bolts holding the extension/adapter housing onto the transmission gear case.
  2. Remove extension/adapter housing from the transmission gear case with Puller 8244 (TRANSMISSION CASE PULLER).

NOTE: It may be necessary to straighten the housing during removal due to the tendency for the reverse idler shaft to bind into one side of the housing.

3. Remove crossover detent plug, spring and plunger from the extension/adapter housing (CROSSOVER CAM DETENT PLUG).
  4. Remove bolt and washer holding the crossover cam to the extension/adapter housing (CROSSOVER CAM BOLT).
  5. Remove crossover cam from the extension/adapter housing.
  6. Remove back-up lamp switch from the extension/adapter housing.
  7. Remove countershaft rear bearing race from the extension/adapter housing with Remover L-4518 (COUNTERSHAFT REAR BEARING RACE).

NOTE: Tag all countershaft pre-load shims from between the bearing race and the housing (COUNTERSHAFT REAR BEARING RACE AND SHIM).

8. Remove crossover cam bushing from the extension/adapter housing with Remover 8240.
  9. On 4X2 vehicles, remove extension housing seal with a pry tool or a slide hammer and screw.
  10. On 4X4 vehicles, remove adapter housing seal with a pry tool or a slide hammer and screw.

REVERSE GEAR

1. Remove crossover cam rollers and pin (CROSSOVER CAM ROLLERS AND PIN).
  2. Remove reverse idler thrust washer from the reverse idler.
  3. Remove reverse idler and reverse countershaft gears together (REVERSE IDLER AND COUNTERSHAFT GEARS).
  4. Remove reverse idler gear rear bearing, bearing spacer, front bearing and front thrust washer from the idler gear shaft.
  5. Remove reverse countershaft rear bearing from the countershaft reverse gear assembly with Puller C-293-PA and Adapters C-293-52 (COUNTERSHAFT REAR BEARING PULLER).
  6. Seperate countershaft reverse gear and sleeve.
  7. Remove output shaft nut with Wrench 8226 on the shaft nut and Socket 6993 or 6984 to hold the shaft (LOOSEN OUTPUT SHAFT NUT). Discard output shaft nut from the output shaft.

NOTE: If necessary strike the flat side area of Wrench 8226 with a hammer to break the nut loose.

8. Remove output shaft ball bearing assembly and reverse thrust washer from the output shaft (OUTPUT SHAFT BEARING AND THRUST WASHER).
  9. Remove reverse gear, reverse gear synchronizer cone, reverse gear outer blocker ring and reverse gear bearing (REVERSE GEAR COMPONENTS).
  10. Remove reverse gear bearing sleeve from the output shaft (REVERSE BEARING SLEEVE).

NOTE: If necessary heat the sleeve slightly with a heat gun. Do not use a torch to heat the sleeve or damage to the output shaft may occur.

11. Remove roll-pin securing the reverse shift fork to the reverse shift rail with a 6 mm (7/32 in.) punch and hammer.
  12. Remove reverse shift fork and synchronizer as an assembly from the reverse shift rail and the output shaft (REVERSE SHIFT FORK AND SYNCHRO).

TRANSMISSION GEAR CASE

1. Remove remaining bolts holding the transmission gear case to the clutch housing.
  2. Remove the shift socket roll pin with a 6 mm (7/32 in.) punch and hammer.
  3. Turn shift socket so it won't catch the case when lifting it up.
  4. Install Fixture 8232 to the transmission gear case.
  5. Attach an engine crane or equivalent to Fixture 8232 and remove the transmission gear case from the clutch housing (TRANSMISSION CASE LIFT FIXTURE).
  6. Remove rear output shaft and countershaft bearing races from the transmission gear case with a brass drift and hammer.

GEARTRAIN

1. Remove bolts holding the 5-6 crossover bracket to the clutch housing (5-6 CROSSOVER BRACKET BOLTS).
  2. Attach Fixture 8232 to the output shaft and countershaft (FIXTURE/OUTPUT SHAFT).
  3. Attach an engine crane or equivalent to Fixture 8232 and raise the geartrain approximately 1/4 in. from the clutch housing.
  4. Remove 5-6 crossover bracket from the clutch housing.
  5. Lower the geartrain back into the clutch housing.
  6. Install Holding Tool 8242 (Remove Holding Tool) onto the 5-6 synchro and tighten the screw to hold the 5-6 synchro together during the removal operation.

NOTE: Note the order of the shift fork arms at the primary shift rail, while in the Neutral position.

7. Raise geartrain and shift rails until all the shift rails clear the clutch housing.
  8. Remove shift rails from the rest of the geartrain (SHIFT RAILS).
  9. Raise the geartrain until the input shaft is clear of the clutch housing.
  10. Remove geartrain from the clutch housing and install the geartrain into Support Stand 8246 (GEARTRAIN FIXTURE).
  11. Remove Fixture 8232 from the output shaft and the countershaft.
  12. Separate the countershaft from the output shaft.
  13. Separate the output shaft from the input shaft. Hold the 5-6 synchro together while removing the output shaft to prevent the synchro sleeve from being dislodged from the synchro hub.

COUNTERSHAFT BEARINGS

1. Remove snap-ring holding the front countershaft bearing onto the countershaft.
  2. Remove front countershaft bearing with Collar 6444-8, Jaws 6451, Puller Rods 6444-4 and Puller 6444 (FRONT COUNTERSHAFT BEARING).
  3. Remove rear countershaft bearing with Collar 6444-8, Jaws 6447, Puller Rods 6444-4, Puller 6444 and suitable press button (REAR COUNTERSHAFT BEARING).

OUTPUT SHAFT BEARINGS

1. Remove snap-ring holding the pocket bearing onto the output shaft.
  2. Remove pocket bearing from the output shaft with Sleeve 6444-8, Jaws 8234, Puller Rods 6444-4 and the remainder of Puller 6444 (OUTPUT SHAFT POCKET BEARING).
  3. Remove snap-ring holding the rear output shaft bearing onto the output shaft.
  4. Use Collar 6444-8, Jaws 8271 and Puller Rods 6444-3 for 4X2 vehicles or Puller Rods 6444-4 for 4X4 vehicles with the remainder of Puller 6444 to remove the rear output shaft bearing from the output shaft.
  5. Remove rear output shaft thrust washer from the output shaft.

INPUT SHAFT

1. Remove fifth gear blocker ring from the input shaft (FIFTH GEAR BLOCKER RING).
  2. Remove fifth gear friction cone from the input shaft (FIFTH GEAR FRICTION CONE).
  3. Remove output shaft pocket bearing race from the input shaft with Puller L-4518 (OUTPUT SHAFT POCKET BEARING RACE).
  4. Remove input shaft bearing and oil guide from the input shaft with Collar 6444-8, Jaws 8243, Puller Rods 6444-6 and the remainder of Puller 6444 (INPUT SHAFT BEARING).

OUTPUT SHAFT

NOTE: Some gear and synchro components can be installed backwards. Mark the gears, clutch gears, synchro hubs, and sleeves for installation reference during disassembly. Use paint or a scribe for marking purposes. Then stack the geartrain parts in order of removal.

1. Remove first gear from the output shaft.
  2. Remove first gear bearing from the output shaft (FIRST GEAR BEARING).
  3. Remove first gear blocker rings (2) and cones from the 1-2 synchro assembly (FIRST GEAR BLOCKER RINGS AND FRICTION CONE).
  4. Install the remainder of the output shaft into Fixture 8227 with press blocks under second gear.
  5. Install shaft and Fixture assembly into a shop press (SECOND GEAR, 1-2 SYNCHRO & FIRST GEAR BEARING SLEEVE).
  6. Press second gear, 1-2 synchro assembly and first gear bearing sleeve from the output shaft.
  7. Remove second gear bearing from the output shaft.
  8. Reverse output shaft in the Fixture 8227 with press blocks positioned under the 5-6 synchro assembly.
  9. Press the 5-6 synchro assembly from the output shaft.
  10. Remove sixth gear and the sixth gear bearing from the output shaft (SIXTH GEAR COMPONENTS).

COUNTERSHAFT

1. Install the countershaft into Fixture 8227 with press blocks located under the fifth countershaft gear.
  2. Place the assembly into a shop press.
  3. Use Guide 8235 on end of countershaft and press the countershaft fifth gear from the countershaft (FIFTH COUNTERSHAFT GEAR).
  4. Place countershaft in Fixture 8227 with press blocks placed under the sixth countershaft gear.
  5. Use Guide 8235 on end of countershaft and press the countershaft sixth gear from the countershaft (SIXTH COUNTERSHAFT GEAR).
  6. Remove countershaft from the press and Fixture 8227.
  7. Remove fourth countershaft gear, friction cone, blocker ring and bearing from the countershaft (FOURTH COUNTERSHAFT GEAR COMPONENTS).
  8. Install countershaft into Fixture 8227 with press blocks located under the third countershaft gear.
  9. Place assembly into a shop press and press third countershaft gear, 3-4 synchro and fourth countershaft gear bearing sleeve from the countershaft (THIRD COUNTERSHAFT GEAR COMPONENTS).
  10. Remove countershaft from the press and Fixture 8227.
  11. Remove third countershaft gear bearing from the countershaft (THIRD GEAR BEARING).
  12. The 2-3 thrust washer should not normally need to be removed from the countershaft. If necessary slide 2-3 thrust washer off countershaft.

CLUTCH HOUSING

1. Remove input shaft retainer bolts from the clutch housing and remove retainer (INPUT SHAFT RETAINER).
  2. Remove countershaft oil guide from the countershaft front bearing bore in the clutch housing (COUNTERSHAFT OIL GUIDE).
  3. Remove countershaft front bearing race, endplay shims and spacer from the clutch housing with Remover 6061-1 and Handle C-4171 (FRONT COUNTERSHAFT BEARING RACE).
  4. Remove input shaft bearing race with Remover/Installer 8237 and Handle C-4171.
  5. Remove input shaft oil guide and retainer seal (OIL GUIDE AND SEAL).
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp