Richard M
Richard M, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified with L1
2581712

2002 dodge durango: i make sure it is yhe fan clutch that is faulty

hi i have a 2002 dodge durango it was making a noise that to me it was the fan. the ? is how can i make sure it is yhe fan clutch that is faulty? because i am ready to replace it. i also need the eteps to take it out. thanks a lot.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard M replied 5 years ago.
Hello Wille,
Remove the drive belt and see if the noise goes away. If it does, inspect ALL the pulleys...spin them by hand and check for play.
I have (below) added instructions for replacing the waterpump. You use the same procedure except replacing the pump itself or draining the cooling system.

I believe the fan/viscous fan drive assembly uses reverse threads. Use a large adjustable wrench. (You should reinstall the belt to help hold it). Install the wrench and hit the top of the wrench using a hammer in a clockwise manner, it should come loose.

If a large wrench is not available a parts store may have the special tools available to rent (as shown in the instructions).

REMOVAL
The water pump on 4.7L engines is bolted directly to the engine timing chain case cover.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable from battery.
  2. Drain cooling system.

1. Remove fan/viscous fan drive assembly from water pump . Do not attempt to remove fan/viscous fan drive assembly from vehicle at this time. WARNING: CONSTANT TENSION HOSE CLAMPS ARE USED ON MOST COOLING SYSTEM HOSES. WHEN REMOVING OR INSTALLING, USE ONLY TOOLS DESIGNED FOR SERVICING THIS TYPE OF CLAMP, SUCH AS SPECIAL CLAMP TOOL (NUMBER 6094). SNAP-ON CLAMP TOOL (NUMBER HPC-20) MAY BE USED FOR LARGER CLAMPS. ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN SERVICING CONSTANT TENSION CLAMPS. CAUTION: A number or letter is stamped into the tongue of constant tension clamps. If replacement is necessary, use only an original equipment clamp with matching number or letter.
  2. If water pump is being replaced, do not unbolt fan blade assembly from thermal viscous fan drive.

1. Remove two fan shroud-to-radiator screws. Disconnect the coolant overflow hose, windshield washer fluid hose and washer pump electrical connector.
  2. Remove upper fan shroud and fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly from vehicle.
  3. After removing fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly, do not place thermal viscous fan drive in horizontal position. If stored horizontally, silicone fluid in viscous fan drive could drain into its bearing assembly and contaminate lubricant.

1. Remove accessory drive belt.
  2. Remove lower radiator hose clamp and remove lower hose at water pump.
  3. Remove seven water pump mounting bolts and one stud bolt. CAUTION: Do not pry water pump at timing chain case/cover. The machined surfaces may be damaged resulting in leaks.
  4. Remove water pump and gasket. Discard gasket.

CLEANING
Clean the gasket mating surface. Use caution not to damage the gasket sealing surface.

INSPECTION
Inspect the water pump assembly for cracks in the housing, Water leaks from shaft seal, Loose or rough turning bearing or Impeller rubbing either the pump body or timing chain case/cover.

INSTALLATION

1. Clean gasket mating surfaces.

1. Using a new gasket, position water pump and install mounting bolts as shown. Tighten water pump mounting bolts to 54 Nm (40 ft. lbs.) torque.
  2. Spin water pump to be sure that pump impeller does not rub against timing chain case/cover.
  3. Connect radiator lower hose to water pump.
  4. Relax tension from belt tensioner. Install drive belt.

CAUTION: When installing the serpentine accessory drive belt, belt must be routed correctly. If not, engine may overheat due to water pump rotating in wrong direction. Refer to figure for correct belt routing. Or, refer to the Belt Routing Label located in the engine compartment. The correct belt with correct length must be used.

1. Position upper fan shroud and fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly.
  2. Be sure the upper and lower portions of the fan shroud are firmly connected. All air must flow through the radiator.
  3. Install two fan shroud-to-radiator screws.
  4. Be sure of at least 25 mm (1.0 inches) between tips of fan blades and fan shroud.
  5. Install fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly to water pump shaft.
  6. Fill cooling system.
  7. Connect negative battery cable.
  8. Start and warm the engine. Check for leaks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if i move the pulleys back and forth and they make a little clicking noise noise is that normal? thanks.
Expert:  Richard M replied 5 years ago.

Yes, that is normal.

Richard M, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified with L1