Donny
Donny, Shop Foreman
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified A1-A8,L1,X1,T1,T2 Over 25 years Experience with Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep
8425921

My turn signals wont shut off automatically, you need to push

My turn signals won't shut off automatically, you need to push the lever back to turn them off after turning. I installed a new switch as the old one was not working, the two small tabs that turn them off are still there but they seem to slip to much to push the tab on the switch back to center. Is there a way to adjust this?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Donny replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What year is your Dodge?
-What model is your Dodge?
-How many miles are on your Dodge?
-What type of engine is in your Dodge?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a 2002 dodge caravan with 112,000 miles with a 3.6.
Expert:  Donny replied 5 years ago.

Hello

There is no way to adjust the cancel pawl it is part of the clock spring, it may have broken free of its retaining tabs and just be floating

To repair this the clock spring should be replaced, once you have it removed from the steering column it may look like you can snap the ring back in place, but when you do this it always comes back off a short time latter

The clock spring is screwed to a plastic mounting platform on the steering column behind the steering wheel. The clock spring is used to maintain a continuous electrical circuit between the wiring harness and the drivers airbag.

If you are not familiar and comfortable working with the Air bag system you should have this done by a professional

WARNING: THIS SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX ELECTRO-MECHANICAL UNIT. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE CABLE BEFORE BEGINNING AIRBAG SYSTEM COMPONENT REMOVAL OR INSTALLATION PROCEDURES. THIS WILL DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

ALLOW SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE FOR TWO MINUTES BEFORE REMOVING AIRBAG COMPONENTS.

DO NOT PLACE AN INTACT UNDEPLOYED AIRBAG FACE DOWN ON A SOLID SURFACE, THE AIRBAG WILL PROPEL INTO THE AIR IF ACCIDENTALLY DEPLOYED AND COULD RESULT IN PERSONAL INJURY. WHEN CARRYING OR HANDLING AN UNDEPLOYED AIRBAG MODULE, THE TRIM SIDE OF THE AIRBAG SHOULD BE POINTING AWAY FROM THE BODY TO MINIMIZE POSSIBILITY OF INJURY IF ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT OCCURS.

REPLACE AIRBAG SYSTEM COMPONENTS WITH MOPAR REPLACEMENT PARTS. SUBSTITUTE PARTS MAY APPEAR INTERCHANGEABLE, BUT INTERNAL DIFFERENCES MAY RESULT IN INFERIOR OCCUPANT PROTECTION.

THE FACTORY INSTALLED FASTENERS, SCREWS AND BOLTS USED TO FASTEN AIRBAG COMPONENTS HAVE A SPECIAL COATING AND ARE SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. DO NOT USE SUBSTITUTE FASTENERS, USE ONLY ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT FASTENERS LISTED IN THE PARTS CATALOG WHEN FASTENER REPLACEMENT IS REQUIRED.

• Position steering wheel and front wheels straight ahead.
  • Release hood latch and open hood. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Wait at least two minutes before proceeding
  • Remove driver airbag from steering wheel.
  • Disconnect wire connectors from back of driver airbag.
  • Disconnect the 2-way connector from remote radio control harness and the 4-way connector from the speed control/horn harness.
  • Remove steering wheel.
  • Remove steering column shrouds.
  • Disconnect 4-way and 6-way connectors between the clock spring and the instrument panel wiring harness.
  • Remove clock spring from housing assembly by removing the two retaining screws retaining the clock spring
  •  

I hope that this helps you

Thank you

Donny

Donny, Shop Foreman
    Experience: A.S.E. Certified A1-A8,L1,X1,T1,T2 Over 25 years Experience with Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep