Kevin
Kevin, Dodge Technician
Experience:  15 years working at a Chrysler dealer Master Tech Owner Of Kevins Mobile Repair Atlanta
10592253

i have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 with a 5.2l i replaced the spark

Customer Question

i have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 with a 5.2l i replaced the spark plugs and wires, now it runs like crap please help
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Did you verify the spark plug gap? If so what did you set the the plugs at? Are you certain you have the firing order correct?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes i gapped them at .040 in

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
OK and have you verified that you reinstalled the spark plug wires on the correct plug?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes i have double checked that the plugs are in the right order

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.
Was this problem evident before the spark plug change? Did you by chance use antiseize on the threads of these plugs? What brand spark plugs did you use?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no i did not use antiseize on the plugs i used autolite platinum plugs with bwd select supermag wires

Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 5 years ago.

I really do not see where you have went wrong at this point. I would recheck the spark plugs to verify that there are no signs of damage to any of the ceramic insulation. I would also check to verify that your new wires have no signs of arching where they go onto the cap of the spark plugs. You would not be the first person to buy a set of plug wires in which the boots were not properly installed. I would also like you to check the firing oder with the following diagram just to be certain that there are no problems there.

graphic

Other than these items, I cannot see what may have happened to cause for this problem after the spark plug installation. If this does not help, let me know and I will opt out to see if any other experts can assist you! Good luck!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I cheecked all the wries for arcing and found none, i rechecked the firing order and it is correct. It is still not runnning right.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to the site my name is Kevin.
U may or may not believe me but I would say the issue is from the plat plugs that U installed.
The whole theory of spark plugs is that it takes a certain amount of voltage to jump across the gap and they base that number off Champion copper spark plugs so if u change that u have changed the amount of voltage needed to jump the gap correctly. Being plat they are the same issue. Go get a set of champion copper plugs and replace them the truck will run just fine after that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The plugs i took out where bosch platx4 plugs and it ran fine with those plugs in

Expert:  Kevin replied 5 years ago.
I would replace the spark plugs with the copper champion.
Look at it from a stand point of this. If there was not an issue b4 u replace the plugs,cap and so on then with all things being said there would not be an issue after that either unless something was changed and or installed correctly. It runs so its not a fact of not installed right but more or less what was installed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not accepting your answer and here is why, I replaced the plugs again this time with your recomended copper core plugs. This did not remedy the problem, I did some more research and found out that my modle of dodge has had service post about the spark plug wires being routed in a very specific location or else they will cross fire. After reading this I checked the routing on the wires and found that they were not in the proper location thus causing the wires to cross fire making the truck run like crap, sorry you will not be paid for your time but being a expeirenced dogde mechanic you should have know about this issue.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 years ago.
then again U caused the prob which is what I was getting at sorry for not thinking that u would not put things back in the right place from which u removed them as for my experience I have never had to go back a re do the wires for such a thing my mistake for assuming that most other d the same.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

You are a jerk! When I took the wires off they were tangled and crossed to begin with, so when I put them back on I layed them out in an orderly fashion like most normal people would do. Next time you insult one of your clients by commenting on the fact what they did or didnt do, you might want to think twice!