Howard
Howard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Over 20 Years of Experience in auto repair; owner of Duncan's Mobile Automotive, LLC for 7 yrs
6712554

My neon, starts ok. But, wont go into gear( go forward or reverse).

Customer Question

My neon, starts ok. But, won't go into gear( go forward or reverse).
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Howard replied 5 years ago.

What year and engine size is your vehicle? I'm assuming it's and automatic? Let me know and I will try to help you to the best of my ability. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My Neon is a 5 speed, 2.0 16 valve I think it is a 2001 model. I can push the shifter
(with little effort) into any of the 5 forward speed and reverse without using the clutch.
The car won't move on its own power in either direction
I can push the car maually while the car is "in gear" with little resistance. I have checked oil level and coolant levels OK. Don't know about transmission fluid level. I did notice some smoke steam coming up from the engine compartment
Expert:  Howard replied 5 years ago.

So when you try to engage the clutch, the shifter will not go into any gear?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I engage the clutch I can also move the shifter into gear. Whether I use the clutch or don't use the clutch I can move the shifter into any of the 5 forward gear positions
and reverse. The car doesn't respond to me placing it into gear.
The engine starts fine. Won't go forwar or reverse when shifted into gear
Expert:  Howard replied 5 years ago.

Without being there with the car, but from the description you are giving me, the problem is in your clutch assembly. It could be either the pressure plate or the release bearing that is the problem, not allowing the car to respond to you putting it into gear. I hope this helps, please get back to me if you have any further questions and I will be here to assist you. Thanks! XXXXX