Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

How does one replace thermostat in 2000 3.2L intrepid

Customer Question

how does one replace thermostat in 2000 3.2L intrepid
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Dodge. Here is the procedure from the factory service manual for you. The thermostat housing is next to the oil filter. You will need to get under the vehicle to do this. Hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

THERMOSTAT - 3.2/3.5L

REMOVAL

WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE PRESSURE CAP WITH THE SYSTEM HOT AND UNDER PRESSURE BECAUSE SERIOUS BURNS FROM COOLANT CAN OCCUR.

1. Disconnect negative cable from remote jumper terminal.
  2. Drain cooling system.
  3. Raise vehicle on hoist.
  4. Disconnect electrical connectors from engine oil and power steering pressure switches.
  5. Disconnect radiator and heater hoses from thermostat housing.
  6. Remove thermostat housing bolts Thermostat and Housing - 3.2/3.5L Engine
  7. Remove housing, thermostat, and gasket.

INSTALLATION

1. Clean gasket sealing surfaces.
  2. Install thermostat and gasket into thermostat housing. For ease of installation, install bolts in housing for thermostat and gasket retention.
  3. Install thermostat and housing to cylinder block. Tighten bolts to 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.)
  4. Connect heater and radiator hoses. Install hose clamps.
  5. Connect electrical connectors to engine oil and power steering pressure switches.
  6. Lower vehicle and connect negative cable to remote jumper terminal.
  7. Refill cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Refilling in this section.

1 - THERMOSTAT HOUSING/COOLANT INLET
2 - THERMOSTAT
3 - GASKET
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is it next to oil filter and if so does the filter need to be removed?
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Yes it is to the left and a little bit above the oil filter. The oil filter does not need to be removed. Hopefully the diagram I sent you will help.

Thank you for the accept and for using just answer!

Chris