Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist

1998 Dodge Durango: it just clicks..starter solenoid

I have a 1998 Dodge Durango that sometimes starts and sometime it just clicks. Hubby has checked the battery and wires, seems to be starter or starter solenoid how do I tell which one or not at all?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer welcome to Just Answer!.

Is this a single click, barb?

Or is it a series of clicks, like a machine gun?

Had you noticed whether the dome light or headlights dim when the starter clicks, but doesn't crank?

Are the battery cable ends original, or have they been cut off and replacement (clamp) types installed?

Talk in a bit,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sometimes only 1 click per turn over. Haven't noticed they lights dimming and I believe the cable ends are originals, they have the bold on kind. I will tell you the other day I went to turn off the car and it would not stop running. But that has only happened once.

A single click is usually telling you that the starter's about used up... the brushes are worn out or the solenoid isn't transferring power. But since these starters are serviced as a unit (starter-solenoid), you don't have to split hairs. If it clicks but doesn't crank, it's a bad starter.

The exception would be if the large positive cable didn't have good contact at the solenoid and couldn't transfer the amps needed by the actual starter motor. The solenoid would pull in, but nothing would happen. It's not a common thing at all, but does happen. Placing a voltmeter on the cable connection at the starter (and catching it acting up) would be the way to tell for sure. If voltage remains good, it's just the starter.

If you have any questions or problems, don't hesitate to write back. I'll be glad to help.