Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a p1398 no learn crank sensor on a 97 dodge van 5.9.

Customer Question

I have a p1398 no learn crank sensor on a 97 dodge van 5.9. I replaced the crank sensor and erased the code. the code keeps coming back. van runs fine except some times at idle it will start to run rough and stall out. plugs,wires,cap,rotor were replaced june of 08.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Dodge. I have seen this before and is probably an erroneous trouble code. There is a software update for this that the dealer can perform. They will reprogram the PCM with their scan tool. I have the service bulletin here for you to read. As far as the occasional stall out, try cleaning the inside of the throttle body with a throttle body cleaner. You can purchase this from the auto parts store.

Hope this information helps. Let me know if you need more help with this.

Chris

NUMBER: 25-003-01

GROUP: Emissions

DATE: Feb. 23, 2001

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retreival system,

or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of DaimlerChrysler Corporation.

SUBJECT:

Erroneous DTC P1398 (or $BA) - No Crank Sensor Learn

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control

Module (PCM) with new software (calibration level 96Cal18 or 97Cal18).

MODELS:

1996 - 1997 (AB) Ram Van

1996 - 1997 (AN) Dakota

1996 - 1997 (BR/BE) Ram Truck

1997 (TJ) Wrangler

1996 - 1997 (XJ) Cherokee

1996 - 1997 (ZJ) Grand Cherokee

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH

A GASOLINE ENGINE.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

A customer may experience a MIL (Check Engine Lamp) illumination due to an

erroneous DTC P1398 - No Crank Sensor Learn. This DTC may also be displayed as

a $BA - Adaptive Numerator at Limit. This condition may be caused by a momentary

drop in the supply voltage to the powertrain control module.

This condition may occur when a normal, or higher, electrical load is applied to the

battery. A momentary drop in the supply voltage to the PCM may be caused by a

marginal battery or poor electrical connections from the battery to the PCM. The

condition may be further aggravated by cold ambient temperatures or when the

vehicle has been left unused for an extended period of time.

DIAGNOSIS:

1. Verify the calibration level of the PCM software. If the PCM software is at 96Cal18 or

97Cal18, or higher, then this TSB does not apply. Further diagnosis is required.

2. If PCM software is earlier (lower or less) than either 96Cal18 or 97Cal18,

then perform the Repair Procedure.

25-003-01 -2-

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description

1 04669020 Label, Authorized Software Updade

1 04275086 Label, Authorized Modification

EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

CH6000 Scan Tool (DRB III®)

CH7035 General Purpose Interface Bus Cable (GPIB)

CH7000/7001 J1962 Cable

MDS2 (Mopar Diagnostic System)

NOTE: THE MDS2 MUST BE OPERATING AT CIS CD 2077 OR HIGHER.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Reprogram the PCM using the MDS2 (Mopar Diagnostic System)

and the DRBIII® (Scan Tool).

NOTE: DUE TO THE PCM REPROGRAMMING PROCEDURE, A DTC MAY BE SET IN

OTHER MODULES (BCM, MIC, SKIM, ETC.) WITHIN THE VEHICLE, IF SO EQUIPPED.

SOME DTC'S MAY CAUSE THE MIL TO ILLUMINATE. ALL DTC'S RELATE TO A

LOSS OF COMMUNICATIONS BETWEEN MODULES. CHECK ALL MODULES,

RECORD THE FAULTS, AND ERASE THESE FAULTS PRIOR TO RETURNING THE

VEHICLE TO THE CUSTOMER. ERASE ANY FAULTS IN THE PCM LAST, AFTER

ALL OTHER MODULES HAVE HAD THEIR FAULTS ERASE.

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have read about this on line before but I guess I wanted to hear from a real tech. this code has been around on my vehicle for about 2 years and I think it sucks that I have to take it back to the dealer and pay to fix it. This is an emissions issue and it is a Dodge ECM issue and they should fix it for nothing.