Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  25 years automotive expierience, Nissan factory trained, Subaru factory trained.
2921078

Voyager: a diagram to guide me in replaceing a water pump..stranded

What website can I go to to get a diagram to guide me in replaceing a water pump in my 1999 Plymouth Voyager? I'm stranded in San Antonio and need to get back to Austin, Tx.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
HI there! Here is some info for changing the pump. Hope this helps! Thanks
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
2.4L Engine

See Figures 1 and 2

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Water pump location on 2.4L engines
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: When installing the pump, make sure that the O-ring is fully seated inside the groove
  1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

This procedure requires removing the engine timing belt and the auto-tensioner. The factory specifies that the timing marks should always be aligned before removing the timing belt. Set the piston in the No. 1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke. This should align all timing marks on the crankshaft sprocket and both camshaft sprockets.

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the right inner splash shield.
  3. Remove the accessory drive belts.
  4. Place a drain pan under the radiator drain plug. Drain the cooling system.
  5. Support the engine and remove the right motor mount.
  6. Remove the power steering pump mounting bracket bolts and place the pump/bracket assembly off to one side. Do not disconnect the power steering fluid lines.
  7. Remove the right engine mount bracket.
  8. Remove the front timing belt upper and lower covers.
  9. Loosen the timing belt tensioner bolts and remove the belt tensioner and timing belt.
WARNING
With the timing belt removed, DO NOT rotate the camshaft or crankshaft or damage to the engine could occur.
  1. Remove the camshaft sprockets. With the timing belt removed, remove both camshaft sprocket bolts. Do not allow the camshafts to turn when the camshaft sprockets are being removed.
  2. Remove the rear timing belt cover to access the water pump.
  3. Remove the water pump attaching bolts.
  4. Remove the water pump.
To install:
  1. Thoroughly clean all parts. Replace the water pump if there are any cracks, signs of coolant leakage from the shaft seal, loose or rough turning bearing, damaged impeller or sprocket, or the sprocket flange is loose or damaged.
  2. Clean all sealing surfaces. Install a new rubber O-ring into the water pump O-ring groove.

Be sure the O-ring is properly seated in the water pump groove before tightening the bolts. An improperly located O-ring may cause damage to the O-ring and cause a coolant leak.

1. Install the water pump to the engine and tighten the bolts to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
  2. Pressurize the cooling system to 15 psi (103 kPa) and check for leaks. If okay, release the pressure and continue the assembly process.
  3. Install the rear timing belt cover.
  4. Install the camshaft sprockets and tighten the attaching bolts to 75 ft. lbs. (101 Nm). To maintain timing mark alignment, DO NOT allow the camshafts to turn while the sprocket bolts are being tightened.
WARNING
Do not attempt to compress the tensioner plunger with the tensioner assembly installed in the engine. This will cause damage to the tensioner and other related components. The tensioner MUST be compressed in a vise.
  1. Install the timing belt tensioner and timing belt. Be sure to properly tension the timing belt.
  2. Install the front upper and lower timing belt covers.
  3. Install the right engine mount bracket and engine mount.
  4. Install the crankshaft damper and tighten the center bolt to 105 ft. lbs. (142 Nm).
  5. Install the right inner splash shield.
  6. Lower the vehicle.
  7. Install the power steering pump bracket and power steering pump. Tighten the bracket mounting bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
  8. Install and adjust the drive belts.
  9. Refill the cooling system using a 50/50 mixture of water and ethylene glycol antifreeze. Bleed the cooling system.
  10. Start the engine and check for proper operation.
  11. Check and top off the cooling system, if necessary.
3.0L Engine

See Figure 3

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: Water pump mounting detail-3.0L engine
  2. Drain the cooling system.
  3. Remove the drive belts. Remove the timing belt covers and the timing belt.
  4. Remove the water pump mounting bolts.
  5. Separate the water pump from the water inlet pipe and remove the water pump.
  6. Inspect the water pump and replace as necessary.
To install:
  1. Clean all gasket and O-ring surfaces on the water pump and water pipe inlet tube.
  2. Wet a new O-ring with water and install it on the water inlet pipe.
  3. Install a new gasket on the water pump.
  1. Install the pump inlet opening over the water pipe and press until the pipe is completely inserted into the pump housing.
  2. Install the water pump-to-block mounting bolts and tighten to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
  3. Install the timing belt and timing belt covers. Install and adjust the drive belts.
  4. Reconnect the negative battery cable. Fill the cooling system to the proper level with a 50/50 mixture of clean, ethylene glycol antifreeze and water.
  5. Run the engine and check for leaks. Top off the coolant level, if necessary.
3.3L and 3.8L Engines

See Figures 4 and 5

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: Water pump location-3.3 and 3.8L engines
  2. Drain the cooling system.
  3. Remove the serpentine belt.
  4. Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the right front wheel and lower fender shield.
  5. Remove the water pump pulley.
  6. Remove the five mounting bolts and remove the pump from the engine.
  7. Discard the O-ring. Clean the O-ring sealing surface and inspect the water pump for damage, cracks, seal leaks, and loose or rough turning bearings.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: When installing the pump, make sure that the O-ring is properly seated in the groove in the pump body
To install:
  1. Install a new O-ring into the water pump groove. Install the pump onto the engine. Tighten the mounting bolts to 108 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
  2. Install the water pump pulley. Tighten the water pump pulley bolts to 20 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
  3. Install the fender shield and wheel. Tighten the wheel lug nuts, in sequence, to 95 ft. lbs. (129 Nm). Lower the vehicle.
  4. Install the serpentine belt.
  5. Refill the cooling system to the correct level with a 50/50 mixture of clean, ethylene glycol antifreeze and water. Bleed the cooling system.
  6. Reconnect the negative battery cable, run the vehicle until the thermostat opens, fill the overflow tank and check for leaks.
  7. Once the vehicle has cooled, recheck the coolant level.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic
Experience: 25 years automotive expierience, Nissan factory trained, Subaru factory trained.