Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2002 dodge neon: you remove the crankshaft pulley/ harmonic balancer

how do you remove the crankshaft pulley/ harmonic balancer on a 2002 dodge neon 2.0 lit.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

First, you need to remove the right side wheel well splashshield:

graphic

Next, remove the crankshaft dampener bolt. Then use a 3 jaw puller to remove the crankshaft pulley/dampener:

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, I have been doing this for the last several hrs, and it is not working. i put the insert in the bolt hole and the 3 jaw puller is not working. am i doing something wrong?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

You are doing it right. I have encountered some that I had to use a torch to heat up where the pulley meets the dampener to break the corrosion loose, then use the puller.

you can also try soaking it with PB Blaster and allow it to soak for a few hours. If you do this, dont use heat on it afterwards or it will flame up.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
alright, can you recommend a cleaner for the block the head gasket blew and oil went into the water/ coolant?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

I use mineral spirits to clean the block. Most commercial cleaners on the market contain mineral spirits as the most active ingredient for flushing engines, so I have always just used straight mineral spirits to flush out engines

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the pulley still will not come off, is there anything else I can do that may help?

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Besides the puller, what have you tried - heat or PB Blaster?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
heat, and I dont have pb blaster but used penetrating oil.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

I cant say that I have ever encountered one that using heat in conjunction with a puller didnt work.

If you have a long, heavy duty pry bar, have someone pry on the back of the pulley while you turn in on the 3 jaw puller.

I hate to say it, but you may have to end up cutting the pulley down to the crankshaft in order for you to pull it off, and replace the pulley.

No matter what, you will definitely want to use some fine sandpaper or steel wool on the end of the crankshaft before installing the pulley when putting back together.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where can I get some PB Blaster? At this point I will try anything!
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Most major parts stores like Discount Auto Parts, Pep Boys, Autozone, Napa, or carquest carry. Runs about $5 a can

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help, I will get a can and see what happens. I will let you know what happens if you would like?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Keep me posted, and I will continue to help if able to

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
very good! I will let you know. Thank you again!!!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Just wanted to let you know that the PB Blast did the trick. just a few sprays and let it sit for about 15 minutes the pulley came right off!!! I will keep this on hand all the time. once again thank you for your help. it is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Scott

san jacinto, calif.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Great to hear it worked. It may be more expensive, but worth every penny for it. I usually keep a couple of cases on hand because of the salt road corroding parts up here in SD.

I swear by that stuff.

have a great weekend

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

SD= South Dakota? Eric you were truly a life saver.. and I hope you have a great weekend also, I know I will now......

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hey Eric!, do you know if the block has a drain plug, I need to get the milk shake out of the block.

Scott

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

To my knowledge, they dont have a block drain. I also looked in service manual and no reference to one.

Mineral spirits works great at removing the milkshake sludge. With oil drain plug out. Pour a gallon into engine crankcase. It will get the worst of it out. Once you get engine back together. Pour 1 qt transmission oil, and 3 qts mineral spirits into engine. Run for 1-2 minutes. Then drain and replace oil filter.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the milk shake residue is only in the water ports, checking the oil it is very clean. if it is only in the water ports. does this mean there is a different problem than just the head gasket?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Check intake gaskets- there is a possibility of cracked block or head.

cleaning out water ports, with inlet and outlet radiator hoses disconnected from radiator and themostat removed, you just need to run a hose thru it flushing block out until clear water is coming out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when a head gasket blows dont you usually get water in the oil not the oppsoite?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Usually you do. Have a machine shop pressure test the head- cracked head will cause this, as will a cracked block.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sounds like a plan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Eric, I discovered last night that the oil in the coolant is transmission fluid, other than replacing the radiator is there anything else i might need to do?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Change the transmission fluid out completely. If coolant got into transmission by chance, it will wash out the trans fluid from all the bands and clutches, thereby ruining a perfectly good transmission. Flush cooling system thoroughly. Other than that, you should be good to go.

do you need directions on the radiator?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
alright sounds good, by the way is this a common thing to happen, i must admit i have worked on al kinds of cars over the last 25 years, and this one is a first for me. i would never have caught this if i had not went to empty the bucket i drained the radiator into and noticed the red color on top of the coolant.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Its not that common. I have probably done a dozen or so radiators for this problem over the last 10 years.

Below in pdf file format(adobe reader) are directions for fan and radiator. Just click on blue highlighted word to open and download directions:

FAN

RADIATOR

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
cool, thank you , you have been very helpful.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

No problem, just remember that if oyu run into addditional problem on removing the radiator, feel free to contact me on same post

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will , thanks again

Scott

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Eric, I took the head in for p/t, but it looks like they may have turned the cam shaft. can you tell me with the head at TDC on the compression stroke which valves should be opened and in which cylinders.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

I am having trouble opening my service manuals right now, and dont remember off the top of my head. As soon as I get it to open i will post the info.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
any luck getting your manuals open?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
not wanting to bugg, but have you been able to open your manuals?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Not yet. I am running a scan thru it now. I may have a virus in it. when I try to open it, it crashes the whole computer. If the scan doesnt tell me anything or fix- I have to wait til Monday to get ahold of a rep.

If you need it in a hurry, you might me able to call up a Napa or Autozone, they should normally have it-especially Autozone, they are affliated with AllData...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, thank you and good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Eric

Just woundering how things turned out with your computer? and to see if there is a trick to removing the tube seals from the valve cover?

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

No luck yet.

The tube seals are pressed in from the factory and can be a pain to get out. I use an exact-o knife to get them out. Some I will have cut and scrape them out, others I have been lucky enough to cut thru one and the grasp with needlnose pliers and pull out complete seal

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yeah! I kinda figured it would be that way. but thanx for the info.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Eric

Well I have everything put back together, but i have never used the mineral spirits, how do I go about this?

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Since it wound up being the transmission cooler lines leaking in the radiator, and not a headgasket, you shouldnt have to flush engine with mineral spirits unless you saw sludge buildup in top of engine when you had it apart. You do want to change out the trans fluid out if you havent already.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yeah there was milk shake in the engine block, already changed the trans fluid & filter. Just want to get the sludge out of the block.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Put 3 qts mineral spirits and 1 qt trans fluid in engine, let is sit for an hour, then drain. Then fill with engine oil and change filter. Change oil in 300 miles.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

the sludge is not in the motor oil, just the coolant/ water areas in the block. so do i just add the mineral spirits like i would coolant and the do a flush like the book say, by disconnecting the top radiator hose from the radiator and inserting the garden hose into the top of the radiator?

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

For the cooling system, best way to flush is to hook up a garden hose to the hot water outlet to your washing machine and flush with the hot water- that will flush the gunk out- you may need to flush for an hour. You run the hot water thru until it comes out clear

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so no mineral spirits?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

not for the cooling system- I have found hot water to be the best- I run a long hose from my hot water outlet for my washing machine.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok, i will do this and let you know how things turn out

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Eric,

I wanted to let you know the hot water did it, filled the coolant it started right up the only problem was it started to overheat again. I was stumped, everything is new, water pump radiator, thermostat temp sensors and the radiator cap. so just before the trash truck came I went and got the old radiator cap from the trash and put it on.

only because the top hose was so hard while running i could not even sqeeze it a little.

Changed out the new to the old and solved the issue.

I know new parts can be defective, so never dismiss even the new stuff......

Hey boss I wish I could do something for you, you were a great help and it is very appreciated..

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

great to hear! glad to have helped some- what I am here for. Have a great week!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hey eric

do you know anything about the transmission, its an automatic.it started slipping but only on occassion. then today the check engine light came on. i hooked up the scanner and got 2 codes p0700 and p0755 transmission solenoid/ pressure switch. i am stuck on hoe to test this????

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

The P700 code is just a generic code to let technician know that there is a fault code stored in the TCM

Possible causes of P0755 are a faulty 2-4 solenoid, open/short in wiring, or faulty TCM.

Unfortunately, the only tests I know of or have access to require a factory level scan tool.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is it possible to obtain this tool?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

They run around $10 grand.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
wow thats crazy, so i guess the next option is a trans shop?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

That is why they charge to do the diagnostics. Take it a trans shop to at leas get the diagnostics done and then decide whether its something you can tackle or not on repairing

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager