Donny
Donny, Shop Foreman
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified A1-A8,L1,X1,T1,T2 Over 25 years Experience with Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep
8425921

abs and brake light on. mechanic got code for rear abs sensor.

abs and brake light on. mechanic got code for rear abs sensor. changed sensor but could not clear code still says open and gets 0 speed from sensor just like old one! ordered another sensor because he said there should be a reading of 1.4-1.5 ohms across sensor but he gets no reading for the new sensor. now the 2nd new one comes in and he checks it for ohms and gets 0 again and sends it back. what else could be the problem? Thank you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Donny replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Dodge?
-What model is your Dodge?
-How many miles are on your Dodge?
-What type of engine is in your Dodge?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2006 dodge ram 2500 56k 5.7 hemi tried new rear sensor from dodge dealer. installed it with no success. lights still on and 0 reading on diagnostic equipment while driving. when checked with multimeter for ohms across sensor 0. so my mechanic said it would not be the first time he got a bad sensor from factory. ordered another, checked it same way with multimeter before installing it and got 0 reading so he sent it back instead of installing it. waste of time according to him [mechanic]. so thats where we are. I will add that this mechanic is very good but he said there might be something that diagnostic equipment is not telling him?
Expert:  Donny replied 5 years ago.

Hello

Is this an RWAL system with only one rear sensor mounted in the center of the differential, or is it a AWAL system with speed sensors at both rear wheels?

Donny

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
one sensor on the center of rear diff! I will add that both front sensor's read properly on the diagnostic equipment. speed and ohm's.
Expert:  Donny replied 5 years ago.

Hello

If you have after market dual exhaust. look for wire damage near the axle housing. Damage can be pinch or melt damage. Vehicle will need to be inspected at ride height or on a drive on style hoist. Damage may be made worse if the vehicle used for towing.

• When Monitored:

With the ignition on and no system under voltage or over voltage condition present.

• Set Condition:

If the measured wheel speed sensor feedback voltage is less than .277 volts, the sensor is considered open.

If the measured wheel speed sensor feedback voltage is greater than 1.277 volts, or if a sensor over current condition is detected, the sensor is considered shorted.

If a shorted or open condition is present for more than 100 msec, the DTC will set.

•  

Possible Causes

INTERMITTENT REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR DTC
    REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
    REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
    REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
    REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
    REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
    REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
    REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO THE (B22) REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT
    TONE WHEEL
    EXCESSIVE REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR AIR GAP
    WHEEL BEARING
    REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR
    ANTI-LOCK BRAKE MODULE

Check the speed sensors using an ammeter. Bump the tire back and forth and inspect the reading on the meter. The meter reading should cycle from 6 - 14 milliamps. The ABS module supplies 12 volts to the speed sensors.

An ohm test may not give the proper readings

Donny

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    How does that explain not being able to clear the code after new sesor is installed?could it be possible the module is not sending 12 volts to the rear sensor but it is to the front sensor's since they work fine? Am I looking at module to be the problem?
    Expert:  Donny replied 5 years ago.

Hello

You may be looking at a module or a wiring issue

First Inspect the Tone Wheel, you will need to remove the rear cover for this, also at this time you will be able to inspect for metal flakes or other damage that may be tracing metal onto the sensor face

The Tone Wheel Teeth should be perfectly square, not bent or nicked.

if ok

Turn the ignition off.

Disconnect the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor harness connector

Disconnect the Anti-lock Brake Module harness connector

Measure the resistance between the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Supply circuit and ground.

Is the resistance above 5.0 ohms?

If no Repair the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Supply circuit for a short to ground.

If Yes

Measure the resistance between the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal circuit and ground.

Is the resistance above 5.0 ohms?

If no Repair the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal circuit for a short to ground.

If Yes

Measure the resistance of the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Supply circuit, from sensor conector to module

Is the resistance below 5 ohms?

If no Repair the open Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Supply circuit

If yes

Measure the resistance of the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal circuit.

Is the resistance below 5 ohms?

If no Repair the open Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal circuit.

If yes

Ignition on, engine not running.

Measure the voltage of the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Supply circuit.

Is there any voltage present?

If yes Repair Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Supply circuit for a short to voltage.

If no

Measure the voltage of the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal circuit.

Is there any voltage present?

If yes Repair the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal circuit for a short to voltage.

If no

Measure the resistance between the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Supply circuit and the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal circuit at the Anti-lock Brake Module harness connector.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

If yes Repair Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Supply circuit for a short to the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal circuit.

If no

Connect the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor harness connector.

Measure the resistance between the Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Supply circuit and Rear Wheel Speed Sensor Signal circuit at the Anti-lock Brake Module harness connector.

The resistance should be approximately 1600-2300 ohms at 76° F

Is the resistance within the noted range?

If no Replace sensor

If yes

Replace the Anti-lock Brake Module

Conector pin out

module

1 DG/WT REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR (+)
    2 WT/LG CAN C BUS (+)
    3 WT/LB CAN C BUS (-)
    4 PK/LG FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (RUN-START)
    5 DG/LG (ETC) LEFT FRONT WHEEL SPEED SENSOR (+)
    6 BK/DG GROUND
    7 DG/RD FUSED B(+)
    8 DG/YL REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR (-)
    9 DG/WT BRAKE SWITCH NO. 1 SIGNAL
    10 DG/TN LEFT FRONT WHEEL SPEED SENSOR (-)
    11 - -
    12 - -
    13 - -
    14 - -

Sensor

1 DG/YL REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR (-)
    2 DG/WT REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR (+)

Donny

Donny, Shop Foreman
    Experience: A.S.E. Certified A1-A8,L1,X1,T1,T2 Over 25 years Experience with Chrysler - Dodge - Jeep