Instructor jp
Instructor jp, Technical Instructor Master ASE
Experience:  14 Years manufacture instructor

2006 Dodge Dakota TRX4: a 3.7 litre V6 SOHC engine..000 miles

Customer Question

I recently purchased a 2006 Dodge Dakota TRX4 pick up truck with a 3.7 litre V6 SOHC engine. It has 17,000 miles. There is a ticking sound coming from the top of the engine just under the plastic manifold where I believe the SOHC is located...almost sounds like the old valve taps. Is this a normal sound for these 6 cylinder engines? Should I be concerned? Also the dealer said they had to replace the exhaust system from the Y pipe to the tail pipe because someone had improprly installed an after market exhaust system. I see two front converters coming off the exhaust manifolds on both sides of the engine and one rear muffler. Should there be a third converter or forward muffler?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Instructor jp replied 5 years ago.

Hello plumber,

You have two cams one on each bank. they are under your valve covers left and right. In the middle of your block near the roof of the block you have a balance shaft. see pic Although not know to make noise it is kept in place by a cam bearing on either end. they may be worn. THis is a chain drive system and some noise may be normal of course hydraulic lifters can be noisy at times.

INSTALLATION

1.Using a vise, lightly compress the secondary chain tensioner piston until the piston step (5) is flush with the tensioner body. Using a pin or suitable tool, release ratchet pawl (4) by pulling pawl back against spring force through access hole on side of tensioner. While continuing to hold pawl back, Push ratchet device to approximately 2 mm from the tensioner body. Install Tensioner Pins 8514 (2) into hole on front of tensioner. Slowly open vise to transfer piston spring force to lock pin.
2.Position primary chain tensioner over oil pump and insert bolts into lower two holes on tensioner bracket. Tighten bolts to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.).
3.Install right side chain tensioner arm. Install Torx® bolt. Tighten Torx® bolt to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.).

CAUTION: The silver bolts retain the guides to the cylinder heads and the black bolts retain the guides to the engine block.

4.Install the left side chain guide. Tighten the bolts to 28 N·m (250 in.lbs.).
5.Install left side chain tensioner arm, and Torx® bolt. Tighten Torx® bolt to 28 N·m (250 in.lbs.).
6.Install the right side chain guide. Tighten the bolts to 28 N·m (250 in.lbs.).

7.Install both secondary chains onto the idler sprocket (2). Align two plated links on the secondary chains to be visible through the two lower openings on the idler sprocket (4 o'clock and 8 o'clock). Once the secondary timing chains are installed, Secondary Camshaft Chain Holder 8429 (1) to hold chains in place for installation.
8.Align primary chain double plated links with the timing mark at 12 o'clock on the idler sprocket. Align the primary chain single plated link with the timing mark at 6 o'clock on the crankshaft sprocket.
9.Lubricate idler shaft and bushings with clean engine oil.

NOTE: The idler sprocket must be timed to the counterbalance shaft drive gear before the idler sprocket is fully seated.

10.Install all chains, crankshaft sprocket, and idler sprocket as an assembly. After guiding both secondary chains through the block and cylinder head openings, affix chains with a elastic strap or equivalent. This will maintain tension on chains to aid in installation. Align the timing mark (2) on the idler sprocket gear (3) to the timing mark on the counterbalance shaft drive gear (1), then seat idler sprocket fully. Before installing idler sprocket bolt, lubricate washer with oil, and tighten idler sprocket assembly retaining bolt to 34 N·m (25 ft.lbs.).

NOTE: It will be necessary to slightly rotate camshafts for sprocket installation.
11.Align left camshaft sprocket "L" dot to plated link on chain.
12.Align right camshaft sprocket "R" dot to plated link on chain.

CAUTION: Remove excess oil from the camshaft sprocket bolt. Failure to do so can result in over-torque of bolt resulting in bolt failure.

13.Remove Secondary Camshaft Chain Holder 8429, then attach both sprockets to camshafts. Remove excess oil from bolts, then Install sprocket bolts, but do not tighten at this time.
14.Verify that all plated links are aligned with the marks on all sprockets and the "V6" marks on camshaft sprockets are at the 12 o'clock position.

CAUTION: Ensure the plate between the left secondary chain tensioner and block is correctly installed.

15.Install both secondary chain tensioners. Tighten bolts to 28 N·m (250 in.lbs.).

NOTE: Left and right secondary chain tensioners are not common.
16.Remove all locking pins from tensioners.

CAUTION: After pulling locking pins out of each tensioner, DO NOT manually extend the tensioner(s) ratchet. Doing so will over tension the chains, resulting in noise and/or high timing chain loads.

17.Using Spanner Wrench 6958, with Adaptor Pins 8346 (4), tighten left camshaft sprocket bolts to 122 N·m (90 ft.lbs.).

18.Using Spanner Wrench 6958, with Adaptor Pins 8346 (2) , tighten right camshaft sprocket bolts to 122 N·m (90 ft.lbs.).
19.Rotate engine two full revolutions. Verify timing marks are at the follow locations:

1. primary chain idler sprocket dot is at 12 o'clock
  2. primary chain crankshaft sprocket dot is at 6 o'clock
  3. secondary chain camshaft sprockets "V6" marks are at 12 o'clock
  4. balance shaft drive gear dot is aligned to the idler sprocket gear dot

20.Lubricate all three chains with engine oil.

21.After installing all chains, it is recommended that the idler gear end play be checked. The end play must be within 0.10 -0.25 mm (0.004 - 0.010 in.). If not within specification, the idler gear (1) must be replaced.
22.Install timing chain cover and crankshaft damper (Refer to 09 - Engine/Valve Timing/COVER(S) , Engine Timing - Installation) - INSTALLATION) and (Refer to 09 - Engine/Engine Block/DAMPER, Vibration - Installation)
23.Install cylinder head covers. (Refer to 09 - Engine/Cylinder Head/COVER(S) , Cylinder Head - Installation) - INSTALLATION.)

NOTE: Before installing threaded plug in right cylinder head, the plug must be coated with sealant to prevent leaks.
24.Coat the large threaded access plug (2) with Mopar® Thread Sealant with Teflon, then install into the right cylinder head and tighten to 81 N·m (60 ft. lbs.).
25.Install the oil fill housing.
26.Install access plug (1) in left cylinder head.
27.Install power steering pump(Refer to 19 - Steering/Pump - Installation)
28.Fill cooling system (Refer to 07 - CooProcedure)
29.Connect negative cable to battery.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's all greek to me. Do you think I should take the truck back to the dealer? Also, Have you any diagrams of the stock exhaust system?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Alos, I thought this was a single overhead cam.

Plumber,

You have two banks of cylinders. One cam for each. Two valves per cylinder is one cam SOHC. Typically 4 valves per cylinder have 2 cams for each bank. DOHC

Noise: If it were me I would have the Dodge dealer listen to it just because they see this engine every day. They can tell you weather or not it is ok..

jp