Instructor jp
Instructor jp, Technical Instructor Master ASE
Experience:  14 Years manufacture instructor
15757685

just got done replaceing rack and pinion on 05 dodge caravan

Customer Question

just got done replaceing rack and pinion on 05 dodge caravan and the darn thing wont bleed out, seems as if it has an endless supply of air and well it wont work right when we start it and when we shut it off you cant turn the wheel to the left
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer welcome to Just Answer!.

I know... it sure seems that way. But if the pump caught some air, it aerated the fluid and sent it throughout the rack, so it'll just take some time to get out.

If you have the front wheels off the ground, try this...

Fill the reservoir and slowly turn the wheel from stop to stop several times with the engine off. With frothy fluid it might not work immediately, but it will separate some of the air from the fluid, speeding the bleed procedure. If it would be convenient, come back in the morning after the fluid and air have had a chance to part ways and do the wheel turn procedure.

There may be some whine that remains for a little while after the bleed is done, but once you've got power steering restored it should bleed itself in a short time.

No need to accept this until the system is working and quiet.. just in case!

Good luck, jarrod!
Ed

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>well we did do that very thing for about 4 to 5 hrs, infact we took the return line to the resivior and put it in a bucket and turned wheel end to end while filling with new air free fluid. and they are not little air bubbles they are big. it never stopspumping air out. and now im thinking somethings wrong.like the rack is bad. also what would keep me from turning the wheel to the left after turnig the engine off.</p><p> </p>
Honestly.... I don't know.
I'll opt out of the question and put it back out for other experts.

Hang in there, someone will be with you shortly!

Ed
Expert:  Instructor jp replied 5 years ago.

Hello jarrod,

I will try to help.

Try this procedure. You will have to get a little creative for the tooling. But you should be successful if you can pull the fluid thru..

jp

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 19-008-05, DATED OCTOBER

26, 2005, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS ARE

HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS** AND INCLUDES A NEW PARTS TABLE AND

CAUTION.

SUBJECT:

Revised Power Steering System Bleeding Procedures

MODELS:

2004 - 2006 (CS) Pacifica

2002 - 2006 (DR/DH/D1) Ram Pickup

2004 - 2006 (HB) Durango

2001 - 2006 (JR) Sebring Convertible/Sebring Sedan/Stratus Sedan

2002 - 2006 (KJ) Liberty

2005 - 2006 (LX/LE) 300/Charger/Magnum

2005 - 2006 (ND) Dakota

2000 - 2005 (PL) Neon/SRT4

2001 - 2006 (PT) PT Cruiser

2001 - 2006 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)

2001 - 2006 (RS) Town & Country/Caravan/Voyager

2005 - 2006 (WK/WH) Grand Cherokee

2006 (XK/XH) Commander

NOTE: This bulletin does NOT apply to DR SRT10 vehicles.

NUMBER: 19-008-05 REV. A

GROUP: Steering

DATE: November 2, 2005

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description

**AR 05166226AA Power Steering Fluid, ATF+4 (MS 9602)

For use in: CS, DR, DH, D1, HB, JR, KJ, LX,

LE, ND, PL, PT, RG, RS vehicles**

**AR 05142893AA Power Steering Fluid, Hydraulic System (MS

10838)

For use in: WK, WH, XK, KH vehicles**

SPECIAL TOOLS/EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

9688 Adapter, P/S Cap

C-4207-A Vacuum Pump, Hand (or equivalent)

POWER STEERING SYSTEM BLEEDING PROCEDURE:

WARNING:The fluid level should be checked with engine off to prevent injury from

moving components.

CAUTION: **MOPAR® Power Steering Fluid +4 or ATF+4 (MS-9602) is to be used in

the power steering system of CS, DR, DH, D1, HB, JR, KJ, LX, LE, ND, PL,

PT, RG, and RS vehicles. Mopar Hydraulic Power Steering Fluid (MS

10838) is to be used in the power steering system of WK, WH, XH, and XK

vehicles. No other power steering or automatic transmission fluid is to be

used in these systems. Damage may result to the power steering pump

and system if the incorrect fluid is used. Do not overfill the power

steering reservoir.**

CAUTION: If the air is not purged from the power steering system correctly, pump

failure could result.

NOTE: If the power steering reservoir cap does not have a dipstick, there will be a

sight window on the side of the reservoir for checking fluid level.

NOTE: Be sure the vacuum tool used in the following procedure is clean and free of

any fluids.

1. Wipe the filler cap clean with a clean rag and fill the power steering reservoir to the

proper level. The dipstick should indicate COLD when the fluid is at normal ambient

temperature.

2. Tightly insert Miller Special Tool, 9688 - P/S Cap Adapter, onto the pump reservoir

(Fig. 1).

19-008-05 REV. A -2-

Fig. 1 VACUUM PUMP

1 - HAND VACUUM PUMP C-4207-A

2 - CLEAR HOSE FROM ADAPTER TO RESERVOIR

3 - SPECIAL TOOL - 9688

4 - VACUUM PUMP RESERVOIR

CAUTION: Failure to properly connect the vacuum pump reservoir may allow power

steering fluid to be sucked into the vacuum pump.

CAUTION: Do not run the engine while vacuum is applied to the power steering

system.

NOTE: When performing Step #3, make sure the minimum vacuum level is

maintained during the entire time period.

3. Using a hand vacuum pump, Miller Special Tool C-4207-A, with the vacuum reservoir

attached, apply 68-85 kPa (20-25 in. Hg) of vacuum to the power steering system for a

minimum of 3 minutes.

4. Slowly release the vacuum, remove the special tools and add fluid to the proper level if

necessary.

5. Repeat Step #1 through Step #4 until the fluid level no longer drops.

6. Start the engine and cycle the steering wheel from lock to lock three times.

NOTE: Do not hold the steering wheel on stops.

7. Stop the engine and check for leaks at all connections. Check for any signs of air in

the reservoir and check reservoir level. If air is present repeat the procedure if

necessary.

POLICY:

Information Only.

-3- 19-008-05 REV. A

YOu must use red fluid ATF+4

jp