David Dill
David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC
14774302

How do i change the transmission fluid in my 2002 dodge 2500

How do i change the transmission fluid in my 2002 dodge 2500 diesel?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  David Dill replied 5 years ago.
The trans fluid and filter change is quite easy. You will need the new filter and fluid(use only Mopar ATF +4) it generally takes 6 qts for a pan drop. Depending upon whether a service has been done before you may need a new pan gasket. Mopar has a reuseable gasket that could already be on it but it may also be only cork. There are several bolts that hold the pan on, just unbolt them and down the pan comes. The filter is held on with 2 Torx head screws, I believe they are T20 but I can't remember for certain. swap out the filter install the new gasket and bolt the pan back on. Refill the fluid and check the level when hot idling in neutral.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Mr. David Dill,

I forgot to specify that it was a manual five speed transmission.

Thanks, Elliott

Looks like there may have been 2 possible 5 speeds. The most common is the NV5600 for the diesel. To drain this trans, there is a PTO cover on the side and you remove the lower bolt. To fill it, there is a plug at the rear of the PTO cover. It uses a special fluid as well. Get that from a Dodge dealer as I don't believe the aftermarket has any.
David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience: 19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC