Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist

2001 Dodge Ram 1500: check engine light../318 V8 came on..leak..evap

The check engine light on my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 w/318 V8 came on. I was told by the person that read the code that I had a large leak in the evap. emmision system. I was looking for a split or broken hose. When I got to the evap canisters under he truck I noticed the bottom of the square canister was about to fall off. Should this be one piece with the canister? Does it sound like I need to replace the canister? Could this cause the engine lite to come on?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer welcome to Just Answer!.

That would be YES and.... YES. Your P0455 (EVAP LEAK MONITOR LARGE LEAK DETECTED) diagnostic trouble code will most certainly be caused by a failure of this sort and will turn the CHECK ENGINE lamp on.

You've already noticed that there are two kinds of canisters... good! It makes it easier to order the proper one when the shape is known. The two canisters also use a pass-thru hose that often rots and probably should be changed while the canister duo is removed.

The canisters are hung together on a cradle that uses four body bolts to attach it to the frame. They're 1/2" or 13mm... your choice in tool. Three are easy to see, the last is centered just above the cradle and between the two canisters... can be removed using a 6" socket extension with the socket.

As long as you're in the area, make sure the 3/4" diameter hose that connects the forward canister to the leak detection pump (under the hood) is in good shape. This is another common cause for an evaporative leak code to be set, as are pretty much all rubber hoses on the evap system. The smaller 1/4" diameter hose that leads over the frame rail at the canisters is yet another....

Fuel line is an acceptable substitute for any straight section of hose that needs to be replaced, but the formed hoses (like the pass-thru) will have to be application-specific to avoid kinking as it has to make two quick 90-degree bends. The 3/4" diameter hose that leads forward is another example and (sadly) is serviced as an entire evporative system hose harness ONLY. It's about a hun unless you get creative with sprinkler fittings and heater hose... which should work fine.

Clearing the code can happen naturally by simply driving the truck after it's repaired. Each Good Trip recorded by the Evaporative Leak Monitor will count toward turning the CHECK ENGINE lamp off at first, then removing the code entirely. A battery disconnect is quicker if it's desired to get rid of the MIL illumination right away.

Hey, good work on the inspection, it'll save you lots of time and grief!

If you have any problems or questions, don't hesitate to write back... I'll be glad to help.