HWeaver184
HWeaver184, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  ASE certified all 9 fields, specialize in diesel, trans, drivability. With chrysler 4yrs
14343291

if the lift pump is not working does that mean that the fuel

if the lift pump is not working does that mean that the fuel gauge will not work
Category: Dodge
Expert:  HWeaver184 replied 5 years ago.
not necessarily. You could still be getting a fuel tank level reading and your fuel pump could have gone out. Why do you ask?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
cause im not getting any fuel to the fuel filter and the injectors but it will hit on starting fluid
what vehicle, year, and engine do you have?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its an 05 dodge 2500 cummins
Ok, this can go two ways. Since you had the fuel filter out of the housing, did you by any chance see a black pump connected to the back of your filter housing? OR did it look like a fitting only with a plastic disconnect line going to it? If you see a pump, you will see a connector that plugs into it up top.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

all thats on there is the fittings it ran out of fuel so i put some more in there and the lift pump isnt making any noise plus i cracked the injector lines and cranked it and im not getting any fuel the truck only has 27800 miles on it

if i hit accept to the answer will it charge me to ask more

Oh, lucky you. You have a lift pump gone out. If you want to double check to make sure, just take that pump connector loose and get a test light and turn the key on and bump the key and your light should light up. If it does light up, just have take it to the dealer and get your new and improved lift pump put in. It converts the lift pump from the filter housing to the fuel tank. This gives you a new fuel tank level unit and a built in lift pump in the sender. If you had to pay for it you would spend about 800 bucks for THIS conversion, but you could get an aftermarket lift pump to go back in place of your factory filter mounted pump for under a 100 bucks. You shouldnt have a problem with getting it covered though. You would just be out your 100 dollar diesel engine warranty. you have i believe a 7 yr. 100K mile warranty on your diesel engine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does dodge put chips in the key so the lift pump is in the tank
im not quite getting what you are saying. What dodge does is install an in-tank conversion kit. It takes the lift pump off the filter housing and puts a fuel supply fitting in place and runs a small harness to make the lift pump work when its installed in the fuel tank
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what if that dont fix it what else could it be
trust me it will. If you dont have fuel filling up the filter housing and you have power on the wires that supply power to the lift pump and of course you have fuel in the tank, then that is what is wrong. If you dont have a working lift pump, your truck wont run. Its a very common fix on diesels is replacing the lift pump. Lets put it this way, when i have to do injectors or anything dealing with the fuel system under warranty, i change this pump out even if it doesnt show signs of problems yet and put the conversion kit in the tank because its a fact that the filter mounted lift pumps dont last very long because they work too hard to pull fuel all the way from the tank and keep supplying fuel. Thats why the lift pump that is put in the tank is better because it lasts longer because it pushes fuel up to the engine instead of trying to suck fuel from the fuel tank through a line that is 15 ft long.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what would cause the amp hand to not show anything in the batterys when u first turn the key on without the truck running
it should show around 12 V with key on engine off. Does it work fine when its running? The cluster will stay "asleep" for a few seconds with the first part of the key being on but should show most gauges after that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what would cause it not to work
it doesnt even work when the truck was running?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i dont know i bought the truck off someone when they couldnt figure out what was wrong with it so i dont know but what might be wrong with it

i would have to check on it, i dont usually mess with them that much on those gauges because we hardly ever run into the problem.
HWeaver184, Dodge Mechanic
Experience: ASE certified all 9 fields, specialize in diesel, trans, drivability. With chrysler 4yrs