Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I am changing the lower ball joints on a 2001 Durango 4wd.

I am changing the lower ball joints on a 2001 Durango 4wd. I have 2 questions. First, how to remove the "dust cover". Second, is the ball joint pushed down through or up through.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Dodge. Here is the removal and installation procedure from the factory service manual. It looks like it is pushed down. I also gave you some diagrams to reference.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

REMOVAL

1. Remove the cotter pin, nut lock, and spring washer from the front drive shaft.
  2. Remove the hub nut and washer from the front drive shaft.
  3. Raise the vehicle.
  4. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  5. Unload the torsion bar spring load by turning the adjuster bolt counterclockwise.
  6. Remove the adjuster bolt, bearing,swivel, and anchor from the torsion bar (Torsion Bar).
  7. Remove the stabilizer bar retainer bolts and retainers from both the lower suspension arms. Swivel the stabilizer bar away from the lower suspension arm.
  8. Remove the shock absorber lower mounting bolt.
  9. Remove the rear lower suspension arm mounting bolt and loosen the front bolt.
  10. Remove the front drive shaft bolts from the inner CV joint flange.
  11. Remove the driveshaft.
  12. Remove the front ball joint cotter pin and nut. Seperate the ball joint from the knuckle with special tool C-4150A (Remover).
  13. Support the knuckle with a jack stand and raise the jack up to gain access to the lower ball joint (SUPPORTING THE KNUCKLE).
  14. On vehicles equipped with ball joints that are retained with a snap-ring, remove the snap ring. If the vehicle's ball joint is not retained with a snap ring (joint retained with four stakes), Remove the four stakes on the ball joint flange using a chisel and hammer.
  15. Remove the ball joint boot.
  16. Remove the ball joint using special tools C-4212-F (press), 8345 (receiver), and C4212-3 (driver) (LOWER BALL JOINT REMOVAL).

INSTALLATION

1. Install the ball joint into the control arm and press in using special tools C-4212-F (press) and 6758 (driver)(LOWER BALL JOINT INSTALLATION).
  2. Install the ball joint boot.
  3. If the new ball joint is equipped with a snap ring, Install the snap ring. If the new ball joint is not retained with a snap ring (joint retained with four stakes), stake the ball joint flange in four places using a chisel and hammer.
  4. Remove the support that supported the knuckle.
  5. Install the ball joint into the steering knuckle and tighten the ball joint nut to 183 N·m (135 ft. lbs.).
  6. Lubricate the ball joint.
  7. Install the rear lower suspension arm mounting bolt.
  8. Install the half shaft and tighten to 244 N·m (180 ft. lbs.)(Refer to 3 - DIFFERENTIAL & DRIVELINE/HALF SHAFT - INSTALLATION).
  9. Install the shock absorber and tighten to 108 N·m (80 ft. lbs.)(Refer to 2 - SUSPENSION/FRONT/SHOCK - INSTALLATION).
  10. Install the stabilizer bar retainer bolts and tighten to 34 N·m (25 ft. lbs.)(Refer to 2 - SUSPENSION/FRONT/STABILIZER BAR - INSTALLATION) .
  11. Tighten the rear lower suspension arm mounting bolt to 190 N·m (140 ft. lbs.)
  12. Tighten the front lower suspension arm mounting bolt to 108 N·m (80 ft. lbs.)
  13. Install the adjuster bolt, bearing, swivel and anchor to the torsion bar.
  14. Reload the torsion bar (Refer to 2 - SUSPENSION/FRONT/TRACK BAR - INSTALLATION).
  15. Install the tire and wheel assembly (Refer to 22 - TIRES/WHEELS/WHEELS - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
  16. Adjust the vehicle ride height (Refer to 2 - SUSPENSION/WHEEL ALIGNMENT - STANDARD PROCEDURE)
  17. Torsion barINSTALLATION

CAUTION: The left and right side torsion bars are NOT interchangeable. The bars are identified and stamped R or L, for right or left. The bars do not have a front or rear end and can be installed with either end facing forward.

1. Insert torsion bar ends into anchor and suspension arm.
    2. Position anchor and bearing in frame crossmember. Install adjustment bolt through bearing, anchor and into the swivel.
    3. Turn adjustment bolt clockwise the recorded amount of turns.
    4. Lower vehicle and adjust the front suspension height. (Refer to 2 - SUSPENSION/WHEEL ALIGNMENT - STANDARD PROCEDURE).

graphicgraphic

.
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech