Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
12104952

I have a 1999 Dodge Durango and the Check Engine light recently

I have a 1999 Dodge Durango and the Check Engine light recently came on. The code that comes up when you connect it to the diagnotic OBD II is 32 and the manual we have (Haynes TechBook) points you to either an Exhaust Gas Recirculation transducer solenoid for 1987 - 1994 or a Malfunction Indicator Lamp for 1983-1986 which doesn't cover the 1999 model. The first explanation shows 2 asterisks which refers you to the bottom of the page where it says codes with 2 asterisks are codes that light up the Check Engine light on vehicles with special California emissions controls. Is there something I can do since I live in Washington? Will I pass emissions with the check engine light on? What about when I want to sell it, nobody will want to buy it with the check engine light on and the dealer (if I trade up) will offer me less money for it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.

OBD II fault codes are actually 4 digits, not 2.

Let's try something and see if it works.

Cycle the key on off on off on .....leaving it on..........you need to do this in 10 seconds.

Watch the mileage display and see if it changes to a "P" and a 4 digit number.

Let me know what you get.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the obd II read out is
0132.
i tried the on off thing and nothing happened.

Ahh, that's better.

Here is the code description for P0132.

P-0132 1/1 O2 SENSOR SHORTED TO VOLTAGE

When Monitored: With the engine running for more than 2 minutes and coolant

temperature above 170 degrees F.

Set Condition: The oxygen sensor voltage is above 1.2 volts.

It's a pretty safe bet to say this oxygen sensor needs to be replaced. The 1/1 designation means it is the upstream o2 sensor on the drivers side. By upstream, it means the one before the catalytic converter.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
with that said, will this affect the performance of the engine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
until we change this, will it effect engine performance?
Yes it could affect the performance as well as fuel mileage. It just all depends if this is an intermittant issue or complete failure. The level of performance will be based on how frequently this problem exists.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you so much. so I will ask the auto parts dealer for a:
upstream o2 sensor ????

That's correct.

Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience: 24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist