BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

2000 dodge neon water pump

Customer Question

2000 dodge neon water pump
Category: Dodge
Expert:  BigBob replied 5 years ago.
Greetings,

You want the procedure for that? If so you have to remove the timing belt, I will upload those also if that is what you need.

Bob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How to replace the water pump?
Expert:  BigBob replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,

REMOVAL

1. Raise vehicle on a hoist. Remove right inner splash shield.
  2. Remove accessory drive belts.
  3. Drain cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining.
  4. Remove power steering pump attaching bolts and set pump and assembly aside. Power steering lines do not need to be disconnected.
  5. Remove upper and lower torque isolator struts.
  6. Support engine from the bottom and remove right engine mount attaching bolt.
  7. Remove right engine mount bracket.
  8. Remove timing belt and timing belt tensioner.
  9. Remove front timing belt cover (Fig. 71). CAUTION: Align camshaft and crankshaft timing marks before removing the timing belt by rotating the engine with the crankshaft.graphic
  10. Fig. 72

11. Insert a 8 mm Allen wrench into the hexagon opening located on the front of the belt tensioner pulley (Fig. 72). Rotate the pulley counterclockwise until it contacts the stop. While holding tensioner pulley against stop, insert a 1/8" or 3 mm diameter pin or Allen wrench through the hole located to the left of the hex opening (Fig. 72). While pushing pin into hole, allow the tensioner pulley to rotate back. Almost immediately, the pin should engage the locking hole to prevent further movement of the pulley.
  12. Remove timing belt. CAUTION: Do not rotate the camshafts once the timing belt has been removed or damage to valve components may occur.
  13. Remove camshaft sprocket and rear timing belt cover. Refer to Engine for procedures.graphic
  14. Remove water pump attaching screws to engine and remove pump.

INSTALLATION

1. Apply Mopar Dielectric Grease to O-ring before installation.graphic
  2. Install new O-ring gasket in water pump body O-ring groove. CAUTION: Make sure O-ring gasket is properly seated in water pump groove before tightening screws. An improperly located O-ring may cause damage to the O-ring, resulting in a coolant leak.
  3. Assemble pump body to block and tighten screws to 12 Nm (105 inch lbs.) . Pressurize cooling system to 15 psi with pressure tester and check water pump shaft seal and O-ring for leaks.
  4. Rotate pump by hand to check for freedom of movement.
  5. Install rear timing belt cover and camshaft sprocket.
  6. Install timing belt tensioner and timing belt.
  7. CAMSHAFT AND CRANKSHAFT TIMING PROCEDURE AND BELT INSTALLATION graphic
  8. graphic
  9. Fig. 73

10. Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing, then back off to 3 notches before TDC (Fig. 73).
  11. Set camshaft to TDC by aligning mark on sprocket with the arrow on the rear of timing belt cover (Fig. 73).graphic
  12. Fig. 75

13. Move crankshaft to 1/2 mark before TDC (Fig. 75) for belt installation.
  14. Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket and then around the camshaft sprocket.
  15. Move crankshaft sprocket to TDC to take up belt slack.
  16. Remove the pin or 1/8" or 3 mm Allen wrench from belt tensioner.graphic
  17. Fig. 76

18. Rotate crankshaft 2 revolutions and check the alignment of the timing marks (Fig. 76).
  19. Install front timing belt cover.
  20. Install engine mount bracket.
  21. Install right engine mount to engine mount bracket through bolt.
  22. Remove jack from under engine.
  23. Install upper torque strut.
  24. Install power steering pump assembly.
  25. Raise vehicle and install lower torque strut.graphic
  26. Fig. 77

27. Install crankshaft damper using M12-1.75 x 150 mm bolt, washer, thrust bearing and nut from Special Tool 6792. Install crankshaft damper bolt and tighten to 142 Nm (100 ft. lbs.) (Fig. 77).
  28. Install accessory drive belts.
  29. Install right inner splash shield.
  30. Lower vehicle and perform camshaft and crankshaft timing relearn procedure as follows:
    • Connect the DRB scan tool to the data link (diagnostic) connector. This connector is located in the passenger compartment; at the lower edge of instrument panel; near the steering column.
    • Turn the ignition switch on and access the "miscellaneous" screen.
    • Select "re-learn cam/crank" option and follow directions on DRB screen.

31. Install right engine mount bracket. Refer to Engine for procedure.
  32. Install upper and lower torque isolator struts. Refer to Engine for procedure.
  33. Fill cooling system.
  34. Install accessory drive belts.
  35. Perform camshaft and crankshaft timing relearn procedure as follows:

Good luck,
Bob