BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

I have a 1991 dodge caravan 3.3. The gauges are not working

I have a 1991 dodge caravan 3.3. The gauges are not working tach etc. They just quit about 2 weeks ago. I took in to chrysler and he said it looked like the gauge cluster was bad, we replaced it and it still doesn,t work right. Every once in awhile the speed and tach and a couple of gauges will come and stay on for roughly 10 min and then go out again. Any ideas i replaced the circuit breaker down below but didnt help.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  BigBob replied 7 years ago.
Greetings,

1. With the key off, disconnect the negative battery cable and touch it on the positive for 5 seconds. Use a jumper wire if necessary. Hook it back up. Start the engine and recheck the dash operation. Sometimes the dash or BCM lock up during a battery disconnect or reconnect, especially if the key is accidently left in the "on" position. No further action is necessary.

2. If the gauges still do not operate, use a scan tool on the diagnostic connector on the inside of the vehicle near the fuse box. Check to see if there is communication with the instrument cluster and see if the gauges can be actuated with the scan tool. Check for communication with the BCM (body control module). If one module or the other is off line, this may indicate a problem with that particular module.

Good luck,
Bob
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

is the modules the 3 under the hood on driver side

Expert:  BigBob replied 7 years ago.
No those are the PCM and TCM. Behind Center Of Instrument panel is the body control module. graphic

Bob
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the bcm is a replacable part after the gauge cluster is removed

Expert:  BigBob replied 7 years ago.
It is easily accesible without removing cluster. Center of dash area towards the bottom, similar to this.graphic

Bob