Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have speed sensor problem with my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500. When

Customer Question

I have speed sensor problem with my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500. When I remove the electrical harness from one of the sensors it has three (3) pins. The ones I keep getting have (2) pins in the sensor. And I understand there is an input and output sensor.   What is the correct configuration I need for the sensor and are the input and output the same part?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.

On the 99, there is just the output speed sensor mounted on the transmission. It is mounted the rear of the transmission on the tailshaft housing:

graphic

should be a 2 pin connector:

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I understand. Why does the harness have three female receptors?
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.

Cany get my the VIN number on your Ram, also look on the dirver's door or door sill for a manufacturer's label- it will have production date, month/year. I will need that as well. Yours might be a between year

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The Vin No. is 1B7HC16Y7XS126593. Mfg.. Date 10-98
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.

Can you look on the harness with the 3 pin connector and tell me the color wires?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, give me a few minutes and I will reply. They were covered by the sheathing or conduit for the wires. I pulled it back and there are only two wires. They are green and black. I guess it doesn't matter that the harness has three pin receptacles. One must be blank. Guess it shows how much I know. thanks.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.

Ok-glad we got it found out. Those are the correct 2 colors for the sensor. Have a great day