Scott, ASE Master Certified Technician
Experience:  L1 Drivability Certified, Chrysler Master, 25+ Years Dodge Experience

2004 Dodge Ram 1500: Quad..Driver Side Door will not unlock..manually

Customer Question

2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad: Driver Side Door will not unlock with remote or key or manually. Only way to open door is from inside but the handle seems to pop back into place and the lock will move up a bit but lock again. Seems like the lock is jammed. What say U?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. The problem with your truck is the door lock actuator/latch assy. Most likely the motor has locked up. This is a non-serviceable unit and has to be replaced. It is not hard to do. If you need info on how to replace this let me know and I can send details and pictures.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay. Where can I buy the Actuator and instructions on how to replace it. TY.
Expert:  Scott replied 7 years ago.

You can check with your local parts store but this used to be a dealer item only.

Remove keys (believe me it happens)
Raise the window to the full up position.
Remove the door panel and inside handle.(1 torx screw in handle. screws in door panel. Remove panel by sliding up)
Remove the waterdam. (plastic panel behind door panel)
Disconnect the actuator rods. (mark them for reassembly)
Remove the bolts. (LATCH ASSEMBLY)
Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the latch.

Reasseble in reverse order. Also, there is a screw hole near the latch bolts, this is to a adjustment screw. You need to tighten this screw after you are finished installing latch. Do not shut the door until this screw is tight, because it is for the outside handle adjustment. If you fail to adjust or tighten this screw, the door will not open from the outside and may be hard to open from the inside. You can install everything except the door panel, set screw, and then check your work. IF it works, then install the door panel and you're thru.
I've included pictures of the latch, I couldn't find one for the lock-rods, so make sure you mark them or take pictures prior to disassembly.
Good luck and if I can help further let me know

Customer: replied 7 years ago.