ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Dodge. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

Dodge: 1997 2500 and the abs and brake light stays..faulty

Customer Question

I have a dodge ram 1997 2500 and the abs and brake light stays on after starting.Is it the abs controller that is faulty.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 5 years ago.
If the RED brake light is on, that means either the parking brake is still engaged.. or there is a pressure imbalance in the system.

If the ABS light were the only one on, then I would say the module could be a possibility, but.. the RED light is causing the orange one to come on.
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience: +15 years experience with Dodge. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How can I fix teh problem
First you have to find it.

try this.. don't crank the engine up, and push the brake pedal 3-4 times until it gats hard. Then press and hold it. The pedal should not move, and should be stiff.... just hhold a good bit of pressure on it for about 10-15 seconds, and see if the pedal begins to fall a bit.

If it does, then there is a leak. Check the fluid.. if it is low, then you will have to get under the truck, and look at the backs of the wheels.. to see if there is any fluid leaking from them.

If the pedal sinks and there are no leaks, then the master cylinder is in need of attention.

If the pedal works fine, and there are no problems, then look into the parking brake switch.. It could be out of adjustment.

Let us know what you find, if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do you bleed the brakes.When I put my foot on the brakes it is very sharp and the wheels lock causing the vehicle to skid.

I also see yu are involved with another expert........... If you want to deal with them, I can opt out of this one, and get a refund started for you on this one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I am dealing with another expert.