brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

2001 dodge grand caravan sport: I need to replace a heater core

Customer Question

I need to replace a heater core in my 2001 dodge grand caravan sport. I am not sure where it is located?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 8 years ago.

The front heater core is located in the distribution housing of the heater-A/C unit, under the instrument panel.

Removal - FRONT HEATER CORE

WARNING: On vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury or death.

WARNING: Refer to the applicable warnings and cautions for this system before performing the following operation. Failure to follow the warnings and cautions could result in possible personal injury or death.

1. Remove the silencer boot fasteners located around the base of the lower steering shaft from the dash panel so that it may be pushed aside.
  2. Remove the brake lamp switch from its mounting bracket.
  3. Disconnect the power brake booster input rod (push rod) from the pin on the brake pedal arm.
  4. If equipped with power adjustable pedals, remove the adjustable pedal assembly. NOTE: Take the proper precautions to protect the carpeting below the heater core from spilled engine coolant and have absorbent toweling readily available to clean up any spills.
  5. Remove the heater core tubes.
  6. Remove the two screws that secure the heater core mounting plate to the HVAC air distribution housing.
  7. If NOT equipped with power adjustable pedals, pull the accelerator pedal upward (Accelerator Pedal) and push the brake pedal downward (Brake Pedal) for clearance to remove the heater core from the air distribution housing.
  8. Remove the heater core by carefully pulling it straight out of the side of the air distribution housing. Installation - FRONT HEATER CORE
  1. If NOT equipped with power adjustable pedals, pull the accelerator pedal upward and push the brake pedal downward for clearance to install the heater core into the HVAC air distribution housing.
  2. Install the heater core by carefully pushing it straight into the side of the air distribution housing.
  3. Install the two screws that secure the heater core to the air distribution housing. Tighten the screws to 2 Nm (17 in. lbs.).
  4. Install the heater core tubes.
  5. If equipped with power adjustable pedals, install the adjustable pedal assembly
  6. Connect the power brake booster input rod (push rod) to the pin on the brake pedal arm.
  7. Install the brake lamp switch into its mounting bracket.
  8. Install the silencer boot around the base of the lower steering shaft on the dash panel.
  9. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  10. If the heater core is being replaced, flush the cooling system.
  11. Refill the engine cooling system.

I attached information on how to replace as well. If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,

JB