David Dill
David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC
14774302

I have a 2002 Dodge Durango that is starting not to shift out

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Dodge Durango that is starting not to shift out of park.     It will work fine for a few days and then it won't shift again.     I have read that there is an over ride you can push but I have no clue where it is.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  David Dill replied 5 years ago.

There is a factory recall G28 that applies to this vehicle. It is for the shift interlock. Has this been done on your truck yet?

There is also an adjustment procedure for the shift interlock. Here is a picture and the instruction.

1. Remove the steering column trim as necessary for access to the brake transmission shift interlock.
  2. Shift the transmission into the PARK position.
  3. Pull upward on both the BTSI lock tab and the gearshift cable lock tab (Brake Transmission Interlock Mechanism).
  4. Verify that the shift lever is in the PARK position.
  5. Verify positive engagement of the transmission park lock by attempting to rotate the propeller shaft. The shaft will not rotate when the park lock is engaged.
  6. Turn ignition switch to LOCK position. Be sure ignition key cylinder is in the LOCK position. Cable will not adjust correctly in any other position.
  7. Ensure that the cable is free to self-adjust by pushing cable rearward and releasing.
  8. Push the gearshift cable lock tab down until it snaps in place.
  9. Locate the BTSI alignment hole in the bottom of the BTSI mechanism between the BTSI lock tab and the BTSI connector.
  10. Move the BTSI assembly up or down on the gearshift cable until an appropriate size drill bit can be inserted into the alignment hole and through the assembly.
  11. Push the BTSI lock tab down until it snaps into place and remove the drill bit.
  12. Install any steering column trim previously removed.

I would have the recall performed if not done already. Then focus on the adjustment.

If you step on the brake pedal, roll the key to the position just before it powers up everything you should be able to shift it to neutral and start it.

Let me know how that works.

David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience: 19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the info. Just out of curiousity----do you know when the recall was issued?
The date on the recall is from December 2007
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

If you step on the brake pedal, roll the key to the position just before it powers up everything you should be able to shift it to neutral and start it.------this did not work. Do you have any other idea how I might get it in to neutral so I can get it to the dealership without being towed?

Thanks for all of your help.

The only possibility that comes to mind is to disconnect the shift linkage at the steering column and see if the shift lever will move freely. This would eliminate the column as the source. This would also turn your focus on the shift interlock cable.

Just follow the previous instructions to gain access to the shift cable. It pops off rather easily with a screwdriver. See if the shift lever moves with the key turned to on. If it does then the cable is the source of the problem. If not then you've got issues in the column.

You can also disconnect the shift cable from the trans to see if that moves freely. With both ends of the cable off then it should move back and forth inside its housing. Let me know how all of this turns out and we can go from there.