David Dill
David Dill, Dodge Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC

the atsg book for 42RE shows valve body checkball location

Customer Question

the atsg book for 42RE shows valve body checkball location for the valve body and says not used on 47RE in the checkball spot for the rear servo checkball if this is true it makes sense that the plate had damage in this area. have replaced the plate but need confirmation that no checkball goes there because there is no reverse now with the checkball there.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  David Dill replied 7 years ago.

Hope this is helpful

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
this is not, this is one of the three pictures I got last time. this does not show the rear servo checkball location, and not every A500 A518 and A618 is identical is it?

the Atsg book for the checkball location shows no checkball for the rear servo

Ok try this one

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have asked this question before in the overhaul book it says 47RE does not use the rear servo checkball location, is this true

This info is from the Chrysler service manual,

1. Install rear clutch and rear servo check balls in transfer plate
  2. Install filter screen in upper housing separator plate
  3. Align and position upper housing separator plate on transfer plate
  4. Install brace plate Tighten brace attaching screws to 4 N·m (35 in. lbs.) torque.
  5. Install remaining separator plate attaching screws. Tighten screws to 4 N·m (35 in. lbs.) torque.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so I take it that you do not have first hand exxperience on this because you are quoting out of the manual. what manual is this ?? is it only for the 47RE transmission?

I have been stating the book I have says the 47RE doesnot use the rearservo checkball

do you have this info or is the only thing you can give me is what is in this manual you are quoting from, I tech who did this for a living can give me the info they have come across over the years they worked on cars.

I do not think someone who only can quote from books as a technician I consider a technician someone who is hands on, not books on

so which one are you someone who actually did rebuild trannys or someone who did other things like diagnosing only
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
also I have been told that if the valve body plate have two holes at rear servo for a vent hole and a checkball hole but if the plate only has one hole do not use the checkball. two places inthe book it says 47RE does not take a checkball in rear servo
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no answers?

you asked if the 47re uses a checkball for the rear servo. I sent you a picture showing the checkball position in the valve body from a CHRYSLER service manual. If you are not sure then what are YOU doing working on it?

If it wasn't there to begin with, if the manuals you referenced state there isn't one then what more do you want?

DON'T USE IT. Don't hassle me because I referenced a service manual that YOU wanted a picture out of.

I work on everything, I don't necessarily memorize every flippin repair.That is what the manuals are for, a reference, a guide. a help in case you get called away to work on something else and don't get back to it for 2 days. What kind of technician are you?

I'll open this so you can insult someone else
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
don't bother, and i'll pay for the service, even though is the same thing that i have access to, but because it has counterdicted itself(the books and bulletins I have), i was hoping on finding someone who from personal experience could tell me what the real set up is in this thing, so since you feel insulted you have turned around and insulted me by saying what kind of tech are you. That is a real professional answer from someone who is supposed to be a professional answering this web site, I don't think that telling me you have XX years as a technician means that you are a professional enough to answer this question with the right tact, I am sorry if you took it as a personal insult, thank you for telling me you did not specialize in transmissions, this helps me to see you did not see these things every day working on a multitude of things allows you to be knowledgable on many things but maybe not indepth on any one thing. I suppose that is what I need someone who has seen these transmissions day in and day out, and that is all they work on. Manuals only take you so far on transmission set ups they are all so different, too bad your ego bruises that easily maybe you should read the question again.