Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Chrysler 300m: hood..latched and..inside car..release..mechanism

Customer Question

Chrysler 300m hood closed and latched and will not open with inside car release. I'm sure cable has slipped out of release mechanism. Is there any other way to open the hood ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

The best way to open the hood is to have someone push down on it while you are pulling the cable. If need be then you will have to lay down under the front of the vehicle and reach up in there with a screwdriver and activate the latch, where the cable goes.

The only other way would be to get in there with a small wrench, (10mm) and undolt the latch itself. If you can access any part of the cable from under the hood, in the grill area, you can cut the outer housing and strip it to where you can grab the cable itself and pull on it, (while someone pushes down on the hood)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is no help at all. First, you can't get to the latch with the hood closed. Second, it's impossible to access the latch from under the car. Third, the cable is not connected to the latch, that's my problem. I replaced the windshield washer pump and somehow the cable came loose from the latch. The only access I can see is through the space between the hood and the grillework. The condensor blocks all access from the grille area also. I am an experienced mechanic and have been able to open many hoods before, but this one is a real stumper
Expert:  Jerry replied 5 years ago.
I hear that. Let me open it back up. Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I got it open myself without damaging the hood or any other part of the car. My gift to you is how. Get a piece of 4mm dia wire (I used an old ploitical campaign yard sign), bend one end down 60 mm and at an approx 60 deg angle about two feet down the rod bend it to 90 deg so you have a hand grip. insert this tool between the hood and the grille and guide to just behind the hood latch. Rotate it downward while you're sliding it toward your left. You can feel it contact the release lever. Turn the handle you created counter clockwise to release the hood latch. It will take several tries until you learn the feel. I purchased a hood latch from a dealer and practised on that to learn this trick, but with the above advice anyone should be able to do it.

The cable had slipped out of its mount hole in the latch, but it was still connected to the trip lever. Pehaps you could disconnect the cable from the lever inside the car and pull it far enough to do the same job.

XXXXX XXXXX