TimO, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  7 years tech

1994 Dodge intrepid: replacing the timing belt...tdc..left sprocket

1994 Dodge Intrepid 3.5 engine. I am replacing the timing belt. I can line up the tdc and the left sprocket but I can't get the right one to line up. It springs past the marks. What do it do?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  TimO replied 7 years ago.
This is normal. The springs will always put pressure to rotate the cam. There are positions where the spring pressures are the same on several springs and the cam will center itself. You needs to hold the right cam in position and route the belt around. Be sure to roll the engine over several time and recheck your timing marks. I hope I have helped.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX there a technique to hold it in place? Is this a two person job?
Expert:  TimO replied 7 years ago.

It sometimes makes it easier if you can have help. Here is the replacement instructions.

Timing Belt Removal and Installation

CAUTION: The following procedure can only be used when the camshaft sprockets HAVE NOT BEEN LOOSENED or removed from the camshafts. Refer to Camshaft Sprocket and Engine Timing if sprocket or camshaft have been loosened or removed. See: Timing Components

1. Remove timing belt covers. See: Timing Cover
  2. Mark belt running direction if belt is to be reused.

Camshaft Sprocket Timing Marks

1. Align the camshaft sprockets between the marks on rear belt covers before timing belt removal.

Timing Belt System

1. Remove the timing belt tensioner and remove timing belt.
  2. When the tensioner is removed from the engine, it is necessary to compress the plunger into the tensioner body.

Timing Belt Tensioner

1. Place the tensioner into a vise and slowly compress the plunger.

CAUTION: Index the tensioner in the vise the same way it is installed on the engine. This is to ensure proper pin orientation when tensioner is installed on the engine.

1. When plunger is compressed into the tensioner body, install a pin through the body and plunger to retain plunger in place until tensioner is installed.

CAUTION: This procedure can only be used when the camshaft sprockets HAVE NOT BEEN LOOSENED or removed from the camshafts.

Timing Belt Installation

1. Align the crankshaft sprocket with the Top Dead Center (TDC) mark on oil pump cover.

Camshaft Sprocket Timing Marks

1. Align the camshaft sprockets between the marks on the covers.

Timing Belt Installation

1. Install the timing belt starting at the crankshaft sprocket going in a counterclockwise direction. Install the belt around the last sprocket. Maintain tension on the belt as it is positioned around the tensioner pulley.
  2. Holding the tensioner pulley against the belt, install the tensioner into the housing and tighten to 28 Nm (250 in.lbs.) . Each camshaft sprocket's mark should still fall between the cover marks.
  3. When the tensioner is in place, pull the retaining pin to allow the tensioner to extend to the pulley bracket.

Timing Belt Installation

1. Rotate the crankshaft sprocket 2 revolutions and check the timing marks on the camshafts and crankshaft. The marks should line up within their respective locations. If marks do not line up, repeat procedure.

I hoped I have helped.