brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

98 dodge neon: dohc..timing belt..the engine mount removed, engine

98 dodge neon dohc. Trying to get at the timing belt. Have the engine mount removed, engine supported on jack. Have the engine mount bracket bolts loose but cannot remove them without either lowering or raising the engine. Before we start raising or lowering what do we need to consider or loosen or remove to avoid damage?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

If the engine is supported you wont need to remove anything as it wont move that much to damage anything. I will also attach information on how to replace the belt in case you need additional information.

If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,

JB

REMOVAL

CAUTION: Camshaft or crankshaft should not be rotate after timing belt is removed. Damage to valve components may occur. Always align timing marks before removing timing belt.

1. Remove accessory drive belts.
  2. Raise vehicle on hoist and remove right inner splash shield.
  3. Remove crankshaft damper bolt.
  4. Lower vehicle.
  5. Support engine with a jack and remove right engine mount.
  6. Remove power steering pump assembly and set aside.

Front Timing Belt Cover

1. Remove engine mount bracket and timing belt cover fasteners, remove cover.
  2. Align camshaft timing marks. Loosen timing belt tensioner fasteners and remove timing belt.

Tensioner Pulley Assembly

CAUTION: Do not loosen, tighten, or remove the tensioner pivot bolt.

INSTALLATION

1. When tensioner is removed from the engine it is necessary to compress the plunger into the tensioner body.

Compressing Timing Belt Tensioner

1. Place the tensioner into a vise and slowly compress the plunger. CAUTION: Index the tensioner in the vise the same way it is installed on the engine. This is to ensure proper pin orientation when tensioner is installed on the engine.
  2. When plunger is compressed into the tensioner body install a pin through the body and plunger to retain plunder in place until tensioner is installed.

Crankshaft Sprocket Timing

1. Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing, then back off to 3 notches before TDC.

Camshaft Timing Marks

1. Set camshafts timing marks together by aligning notches on sprockets.

Adjusting Crankshaft Sprocket For Timing Belt Installation

1. Rotate crankshaft 1/2 tooth counterclockwise from TDC.

Adjusting Timing Belt Tension

1. Install timing belt in this direction. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner pulley.
  2. Move crankshaft sprocket to TDC to take up belt slack. Install tensioner to block but do not tighten fasteners.
  3. Using a torque wrench on the tensioner pulley apply 28 Nm (250 inch lbs.) of torque to tensioner.
  4. With torque being applied to the tensioner pulley move the tensioner up against the tensioner pulley bracket and tighten fasteners to 31 Nm (275 inch lbs.) .
  5. Pull tensioner plunger pin. Pretension is correct when pin can be removed and installed freely.
  6. Rotate crankshaft 2 revolutions and check the alignment of the timing marks.
  7. Install front half of timing cover.
  8. Install engine mount bracket.
  9. Install power steering pump assembly.
  10. Install right engine mount.
  11. Remove jack from under engine.

Crankshaft Damper-Installation

1. Install crankshaft damper using M12 1.75 x 150 mm bolt, washer, thrust bearing and nut from Special Tool 6792. Install crankshaft damper bolt and tighten to 142 Nm (105 ft. lbs ) .
  2. Install accessory drive belts.
  3. Raise vehicle on hoist and install right inner splash shield.
  4. Lower vehicle and perform camshaft and crankshaft timing relearn procedure as follows:
    • Step 1: Connect the DRB scan tool to the data link (diagnostic) connector. This connector is located in the passenger compartment; at the lower edge of instrument panel; near the steering column.
    • Step 2: Turn the ignition switch on and access the "miscellaneous" screen.
    • Step 3: Select re-learn cam/crank option and follow directions on DRB screen.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So what you're saying is that we can raise and lower the engine (i think we need about 2 or more inches in either direction) without disconnecting any other hoses, brackets, exhaust, etc?? How far can we move it before having to consider removing/disconnecting any other parts?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

Yes, that is what I'm saying. I think you will find raising the engine to be the best answer. How far, not sure. I do now it can be done with out removal of other components because I have done this repair before.

Thanks,

JB

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,