Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2003 Dodge Dakota: The fuses..resistor..blower motor..passenger side

Customer Question

2003 Dodge Dakota heater/ac blower stopped working. The fuses are still good. I hear there is a resistor for the blower motor located under the dash on passenger side? Is it fairly easy to replace? And should I try that before a blower motor?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

Does the blower motor come on at all?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, not at all. The light on the right comes on leading me to believe the fuse is still good. When it went out, the heater made a clicking sound followed by a fading hiss and that was all she wrote.

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

Ok... well just to be sure... lets check the fuse.

The best way to diagnose this, is to go to the blower motor connector and see if there is power and ground at the connector with the key and blower motor on the "hi" setting.

If there is power and ground and the blower motor is not coming on, the blower motor is bad and will need to be replaced.

The blower motor and blower wheel are located in the passenger side end of the heater-A/C housing, below the glove box

Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the blower motor under the hood or under the dash?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

REMOVAL

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the lower right kick panel.
  3. Unplug the blower motor electrical connector.
  4. Remove the three screws that secure the blower motor and blower wheel assembly to the heater-A/C housing.
  5. Pull the blower motor and wheel assembly out of the passenger compartment side of the heater-A/C housing.

INSTALLATION

1. Place the blower motor and wheel assembly inside the HVAC housing.
  2. Install the three screws that secure the blower motor, air spoiler, and wheel assembly to the heater- A/C housing. Tighten the screws to 2.2 Nm (20 in. lbs.) .
  3. Plug blower motor connections together.
  4. Install lower right kick panel
  5. Connect the battery negative cable
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

The blower motor resistor is mounted to the HVAC unit inside the passenger compartment... just in case you need to know where it is located. :)