josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase advance mastertech and chrysler,dodge,jeep mastertech

When removing the cyl heads on a 4.7 V8 (2003

When removing the cyl heads on a 4.7 V8 (2003) what is the best or simplest way to relieve the tension on the timing chains? Any tips or hints.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  josh replied 7 years ago.
The chain will not have any tensoin on them because you have to take the chain tensioners and guides out to remove the heads.The chains have to be dropped down.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The procedure guide I am reviewing (Shop Key) makes no mention of removng the the Chain tensioners and or guides. It does mention locking the secondary chains to the idler sprocket. It makes mention of a special tool that is wedged into the timing chain prior to removing the cam gear.

If the guides and tensioners are to be removed please provide additional detail.

Expert:  josh replied 7 years ago.
That is wrong that is to remove the cam not the head you cant remove the heads with a wedge in there because it pushes the chain against the head,You have to remove the front cover and put the chain holder tool in to hold both secondary chains in place,then remove tensioners ans guides and let the chains drop so you can remove the heads.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can you provide some detail on removing the the tensioners and chain guides?
Expert:  josh replied 7 years ago.
They just unbolt you will see how to do it when you take it apart.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am able to see where the chain guide mounts on the upper end, but I can not determine how or where to remove the tensioner. I have yet to remove the front cover, will removing the cover expose the chain tensioners?

Expert:  josh replied 7 years ago.
yes,they are behind the front cover