moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp

engine code p404, p405, p404. Replaced egr valve. still codes.

Customer Question

engine code p404, p405, p404. Replaced egr valve. still codes. ??
Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
can you give me the model and year along with the eng size of your Dodge?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

sorry, 2004 dodge caravan 3.3l v6 vin 1D4GP45RX4B576541

The raditor leaked on the egr valve last year and the engine light was on. I cleaned the egr valve and the light was off for monthes. The light returned with the p404 p5405 p404 codes so I replaced the egr valve and cleared the codes.The light was on within 5 mins of driving. I cleaned and checked the connector but it did not look bad. I still need to test drive after the "cleaning"

Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
If you have already replaced the egr and still get this code after the system was cleared.Then you have one of two problems you have lost the 5 volt feed to the egr a wire that is broken or the eng computer is bad and is not sending the 5 volts out to the egr valve.
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
If I have helped you please hit the accept button. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I measured 4.96vdc volt at the egr. The signal pin has 2.1vdc at idle. 0 volt at egr coil pins. If I remove connector from egr i imediatly get a different code p406 p403. is their a way to "see" the voltage at the ECU to check if the wiring is bad? Could the output to the coil be bad? When would the egr have voltage at the coil to open it? At idle or cruise or decell? I dont want to just put in a ecu. Thanks
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
You would need a scan tool to be able to read the eng controller data.and the egr comes on all numorus times based on the software in the eng controller.The eng controller is covered under warranty for 8 years or 80k but thats what the problem sounds like.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  moparfl replied 7 years ago.
Your welcome. and good luck