sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

1999 3500 5 speed dodge location of backup light switch

Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.
Hi. The back up lamp switch is located on the transmission. Your trans is a top loader, meaning there is a large cover on the top of the trans that bolts on. On this cover, on the right side of the truck, just to the rear of the shift tower is the backup lamp switch. Its a 2 wire switch, the only electrical part on the trans. You can't miss it. I'm assuming your lamps don't work. Be sure to check fuse 7 in the fuse box in the dash. It is the power feed to the switch.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I found a switch on the left side rear of trans.
My service information showed it on the right side up high where I described it, but I've known it to be wrong before! What color wires are on the switch you found? It was a 2 wire switch? I think you are probably seeing the speed sensor. Check the wire colors if you can and I'll check them against the diagram. If you can slide under and look up on the top right side while you're under there that would be great too. The wire colors at the backup lamp switch show to be violet/black and brown/light green.