sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan SE: the problem is the Climate Control Unit

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan SE No heat (or intermittent heat).   What are the odds the problem is the Climate Control Unit. It's a single zone with rear defogger. The unit is rather expensive dealer cost is $420. Any diagnostics that can be done?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.
Hi. When you don't have heat, does it blow air or no air? Is the air cold? Have you checked anything at all? Does the heat work if you accelerate but not at idle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Blower works fine, a couple of weeks ago it would intermettently blow hot. Now just it just blows cold. If blower is turned to low I feel a little heat. The higher I turn it the cooler the air feels. Once car is warmed up Coolant Temp gage is right in middle. Haven't checked anything yet.

Ok. The first thing I'd like you to do is check the coolant leve. With the engine cool, remove the radiator cap and make sure the radiator is full. I'll bet your coolant is low because of a leak. It may be the water pump, radiator, metal coolant lines, etc. If the coolant is low top it off, start the van and let it warm. Leave the radiator cap off until the van is full hot, and the upper radiator hose is hot. (be careful of steam, hot coolant, belts, etc) The coolant level will rise and fall probably twice while it runs. Once its steady, top it off and put the cap on. Fill the overflow bottle to the correct level, and see if you have heat. I'll be you do. If not, let me know and we'll try some other things.
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Filling in radiator seems to have helped, but it's still not as hot as it should be. Escpecially when the blower is on full. It blows warm sooner now when temp gauge is just below 1/2 way (about 3/8ths of way between H and C marks on the gauge.

It's also not as cold today (about 35 F) as it was previous days. when it was about 15 - 20F.

Should the hoses from the block into to fire wall (to the heater core) be hot ?.

They are kinda of luke warm. But I didn't have enough time to let the engine warm up fully, Only about 10-15 minutes.

You'll need the van full hot to be able to tell anything for sure. 10-15 minutes idling from a cold start sitting outside may not have been long enough to get it hot enough. Get the van full hot, drive it around for 10 or 15 minutes, and then recheck the heat, and check how hot the heater hoses are. Note what the temperature gauge does while you are driving. I've seen a coulple broken thermostats on these lately and the engine wont' get up to temp while you are driving.