sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

front differential seal leaking on 2004 dodge ram 2500 diesel

front differential seal leaking on 2004 dodge ram 2500 diesel can u access the bearing and seal to replace them from the driveline side by taking off the yoke and the seal guard?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.
Hi. Are you talking about the pinion seal where the driveshaft comes to the differential?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes on the front diff on a 4x4 have replaced the front driveline 3x's and the rear u joints 2x's 114000 miles on truck.
Ok. To remove the pinion seal you obviously remove the front driveshaft. Once its out you have to remove the pinion nut. Its a large 12 point nut. Once its off you have to use a puller to remove the pinion yoke. These are pressed onto the pinion gear splines very tightly, you can't tap them off with a hammer like smaller differentials. Once you get the yoke off you can use a seal puller or screwdriver to remove the seal. Be careful to not damage the axle housing. Clean up the area that the seal goes into to remove any sealant from the old seal, and drive the new one in. Reinstall the yoke, pinion nut and driveshaft. Be sure to check the fluid level when you are done.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are the threads left handed or right? do u have to torque the pinion nut when u put back on?
They are normal right handed threads, so turn the nut counter clockwise to remove it. The pinion nut does not have a specified torque. By the book, you are supposed to remove the hubs and axle shafts so there is no drag on the differential carrier. Then you meausre the turning torque on the front pinion nut with an in lb dial torque wrench. You record this measurement. Then you remove and replace the seal. When you put it back together you put the nut on until the play is gone. Then you torque the nut in 5 ft lb increments while checking the pinion preload with the dial torque wrench until it is 3-5 in lbs tighter than before you took it apart. This would turn the job into a 4 hour project because you have to take the whole front end apart, and you may not have access to a dial type torque wrench. If you don't have one and you don't want to take the hubs and axle shafts out, just use your judgement when you tighten it
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist