sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2004 dodge neon: automatic..2nd only speedometer will not work

2004 dodge neon automatic will change 1st to 2nd only speedometer will not work.
Submitted: 5 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.
Hi. Lets see what codes are stored in there. Cycle the key from off to on three times ending with it on and watch the digital odometer display. The codes start with a p and have four numbers, there may be more than one code. Write down any that you see and post them here and I will tell you what to do.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i cycled the switch and no codes were posted. but the check engine light was still on
Ok. This will work if done just right. Do it with the doors closed. Remember you aren't starting the engine, only turning the key from the off position to on. You don't have to go all the way back to the lock position, just one notch back from the run position. Give it a couple more tries-off, on, off, on, off, on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
alwright the code this time was p2074; but also when the check engine light came on. The first time advance auto checked it ,and said that i should replace the spedometer sensors. So i replaced both the input and output.
Ok. The p2074 is for a problem with MAP sensor and TPS correlation. Its probably a failed MAP sensor, but won't affect your other problem. Advance usually gives you a copy like a receipt with all of the codes printed on it. Do you have those? I'm curious to know what was set before. It may be holding back some codes on us now. If its not shifting and the speedometer doesn't work, there should be a few more codes stored than just that one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, the codes are p0700 and p0720

Ok good. The p0720 is output speed sensor error. This is what I would have expected to see with the symptoms you are having. Your problem still either lies with the sensor, the wiring to the sensor, or the engine/trans control module. You might try another sensor, the new one may have been bad. Its not unheard of. If that doesn't do it, the next step would be some wiring diagnostics with an ohm meter. If the sensor is ok and the wiring checks out, then you could condemn the trans controller.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what is the trans controller the dodge place that i bought it from said it didnt have a trans control module, when i called them about the car. They said the trans wasnt electric. but is the module being refered to as the engine management unit?

The transmission is fully electronically controlled. It has the input and output speed sensors, a range sensor, and the solenoid pack mounted to the front that controls shifting. All of the sensors are monitored by a module, and the module controls all shifting through the solenoids. The car does not have a standalone trans controller anymore. The engine controller and trans controller are now 2 seperate modules that are located inside the same module. This is called an NGC powertrain control module. Its located on the lower core support just forward of the airbox. Its a silver box with 4 electrical connectors.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks we greatly appraciate the quick and straight foward responses.
You are welcome. Let me know if you need any more help!
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist