Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

My 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 shuts down but restarts without a problem.

My 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 shuts down but restarts without a problem. On park I reved the engine to see if it would pick up on RPM but it sounds like it wants to cut out.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 8 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Dodge. Is the check engine light on?

Chris

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

no it not on

Expert:  Chris replied 8 years ago.
Ok, which engine do you have in your truck. Is it a 4.7 or 5.7 Hemi?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

That was the first thing I check. But it sounds good when I start it but when I'm on the road and comming to a stop it shuts off. 4.7

Expert:  Chris replied 8 years ago.

Ok so it dies when coming to a stop but runs ok while going down the road. This can be caused by a sticking Idle Air Control motor (IAC) or simply a dirty throttle body. Try cleaning the throttle body first with throttle body cleaner which you can purchase at your auto parts store. Follow the directions on the can and clean the inside of the throttle bodt bore and plates. Open up the throttle plates while cleaning and be sure to clean the sides of the plate. This will allow good airflow around the plate and help keep the idle speed up. If it is really dirty you may want to remove the throttle body to get it good and clean. If you still have a problem after this you may need to replace the IAC motor.

If this information is helpful would you kindly click on the accept button? If oy need more help let me know.

Thank you,

Chris