MasterMechanicA
MasterMechanicA,
2910673

2005 Dodge Ram 2500: Oil changed..SO the Mech, Flushed it..quarts

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 5.9LJust had the Oil changed and It shows Black Color on the Dip Stick . SO the Mech, Flushed it and added another 12 quarts of new oil and still shows the same issue. The oil is clean going in but looks black on the dip stick with a new filter installed . why?

Please forward answer to my work email
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Dodge
Expert:  MasterMechanicA replied 5 years ago.

Oil in a diesel won't look clean for very long.

You probably have alot of deposits in there and build up.

The new oil is picking up the black oil on the way down to the

pan.

Short trips with the truck wouldn't let the oil reach a hot enough

tempature and would cause build up.

Waiting to long to change the oil would cause build up.

Lots of idling would add to it.

Flushing is probably just washing alittle bit of it away.

Steve

Please press the Accept Button if you are satisfied with the answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
SO what us the solution to this !

Well,

You could keep flushing it but that could end up blocking

up your oil passages.

Take off the valve covers and see what it looks like, if it is

good and caked up then that is a good indication of what the

rest of the engine looks like.

Manually cleaning it would be the next step, just cleaning out the

caked up sludge on the heads would help out alot.

Steve

MasterMechanicA,
Experience: