vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified

How to replace a heater core on a 2002 dodge ram 4.7 liter 2 wd.

how to replace a heater core on a 2002 dodge ram 4.7 liter 2 wd. truck is quad cab
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 5 years ago.

Good morning, inorder to replace the heater core you need to remove the dash assembly. You will also need to remove the freon from the system due to the heater box having to be removed as well. Here is the information for the dash removal:

Dash Removal

Heater box removal:

REMOVAL

WARNING: On vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in an accidental airbag deployment, possible personal injury or death.

WARNING: Refer to the applicable warnings and cautions for this system before performing the following operation Failure to follow the warnings and cautions could result in possible personal injury or death.

NOTE: The HVAC housing must be removed from the vehicle and the two halves of the housing separated for service access of the heater core, evaporator coil, defrost door, blend door(s) and the recirculation door.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Drain the engine cooling system
  3. Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system
  4. Disconnect the liquid refrigerant line fitting from the evaporator inlet tube . Discard the O-ring seal and install plugs in, or tape over the opened liquid refrigerant line fitting and evaporator inlet tube.
  5. Remove the accumulator .Discard the O-ring seals and install plugs in, or tape over the opened refrigerant line fittings and evaporator outlet tube.
  6. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes. Install plugs in, or tape over the opened heater core tubes.
  7. Remove the powertrain control module (PCM) from the engine compartment to gain access to the HVAC housing retaining nuts
  8. Remove the two nuts from the HVAC housing mounting studs in the engine compartment.
  9. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle
  10. Remove the bolt that secures the HVAC housing to the floor bracket located in the center of the vehicle
  11. Remove the two nuts from the HVAC housing mounting studs in the passenger compartment.
  12. Remove the HVAC housing from inside the vehicle. Take care not to allow any remaining coolant to drain onto the vehicles interior.

If this answers your question then please press ACCEPT. If you need more help then let me know. Thanks.

vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience: gold certified, dodge viper certified