moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp
13195827

2002 dodge grand caravan: 3.3l, FWD, starts, runs 2 seconds, dies

Customer Question

2002 dodge grand caravan, 3.3l, FWD, starts, runs 2 seconds, dies, repeats 4 times then won't turn over, start, nothing for several hours, then starts and runs again.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
The problem you are having is with the alarm system.try locking the doors with the power door lock switch and then use your remote to unlock the doors to see if this will reset the system.also if you have another key try it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have tried that, and the alarm light above the tach still stays on while the problem continues, starts, runs, dies, it's generating code P1388 in the instrument cluster, any other ideas?
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
What part of the answer did you try?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Lock the doors with the power lock, then used the fob to unlock.
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
The system is seeing that this is a bad key. If you have another key you need to try this with the other key.also the code that is setting is for a auto shut down relay that is most likely being set due to the alarm system problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a second key, but not a second key FOB, will the lack of a second FOB make a difference?
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
no the key fob is not the problem.it is the key itself or the module that reads the key.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Alright, my wife is going to get the other key, she put it in the safety deposit box for some reason. If the second key doesn't work, can the key be reprogrammed or something? Also, referring to the original question, why does the van start and run several hours after the shutdown? My wife is able to drive it and everything, but then the problem happens again.
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
The cannot be reprogrammed if it is bad.If the other key works then you will need a new key.I not clear on the other question you say the van will keep runnig after you turn the key off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, sorry, after the van goes through the start, runs, dies cycle 4 times, then won't start, after several hours the van will go ahead and start and run without any problem, we can drive it and it runs fine. Then we turn it off, and the cycle start over, start, run, die, wait for several hours, then it will start and run and we can drive it, so my question is why does it work with the bad key several hours after the shut down?
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
Sounds like the chip in the key is bad and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.the alarm system is set up to go into a lock down mode if it sees a bad key signal three time in a row and will diable the starter.and bay letting it set it resets its self.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, I tried the spare key, and still nothing, the van won't start. I locked the doors with the power locks, used the fob to unlock, still didn't start; disconnected the battery and tried again, still won't start.
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
The SKIM module that reads the key must be bad.this will need to be replaced at a dealer and be programmed using your vans skim code.