brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

Pictures of how to replace 99 durango heater core?

Customer Question

pictures of how to replace 99 durango heater core?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.

Are you wanting the housing assembly (attached) or something else. This is a big job as the steering column need dropped, dash removed, and heater housing removed to get to the core.

If this is not what you want just reply, if so click ACCEPT.

Thanks,

JB

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle. Refer to: Body and Frame, Interior Trim, Dashboard/Instrument Panel, Service and Repair, Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement, See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Procedures\Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement
  3. Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system. Refer to: Heating and Air Conditioning, Service and Repair, Refrigerant Recovery, See: Service and Repair\Refrigerant Recovery
  4. Remove the front expansion valve from the evaporator tube mounting flange. Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant line fittings. Refer to: Heating and Air Conditioning, Expansion valve, Service and Repair, Expansion Valve Removal and Installation, See: Expansion Valve\Service and Repair
  5. Drain the engine cooling system.
  6. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes.

Heater-A/C Housing Remove/Install

1. Remove the four nuts from the heater-A/C housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel.
  2. Disengage the front floor panel transmission tunnel duct from the adapter on the heater-A/C housing.
  3. Remove the nut that secures the heater-A/C housing mounting brace to the stud on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel.
  4. Pull the heater-A/C housing rearward far enough for the mounting studs and the evaporator condensate drain tube to clear the dash panel holes.
  5. Remove the heater-A/C housing from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION

1. Position the heater-A/C housing to the dash panel. Be certain that the evaporator condensate drain tube and the housing mounting studs are inserted into their correct mounting holes.
  2. Install the nut that secures the heater-A/C housing mounting brace to the stud on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nut to 11 Nm (95 in. lbs.) .
  3. Engage the front floor panel transmission tunnel duct with the adapter on the heater-A/C housing.
  4. Install and tighten the four nuts onto the heater-A/C housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 7 Nm (60 in. lbs.) .
  5. Unplug or remove the tape from the heater core tubes. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core tubes and fill the engine cooling system.
  6. Reinstall the front expansion valve to the evaporator tube mounting flange. Refer to: Heating and Air Conditioning, Expansion valve, Service and Repair, Expansion Valve Removal and Installation, See: Expansion Valve\Service and Repair
  7. Evacuate the refrigerant system. Refer to: Heating and Air Conditioning, Service and Repair, Refrigerant System Evacuate, Evacuating the A/C System, See: Service and Repair\Refrigerant System Evacuate
  8. Charge the refrigerant system. Refer to: Heating and Air Conditioning, Service and Repair, Refrigerant System Charge, A/C System Charge, See: Service and Repair\Refrigerant System Charge
  9. Reinstall the instrument panel in the vehicle. Refer to: Body and Frame, Interior Trim, Dashboard/Instrument Panel, Service and Repair, Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement, See: Body and Frame\Interior Moulding / Trim\Dashboard / Instrument Panel\Service and Repair\Procedures\Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement
  10. Connect the battery negative cable.
  11. Start the engine and check for proper operation of the heating and air conditioning systems.