vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

1997 Dodge RAM 1500: All electricals work except headlights..high beam

Customer Question

1997 Dodge RAM 1500. All electricals work except headlights. No low or high beam. 40A fuze is OK and bulbs are OK. Any ideas?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 5 years ago.
Good evening, do you have access to a multimeter or test light? If so then which one. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Multimeter

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Owner's manual states that headlight system has a circuit breaker in the switch assembly, but nothing more.

graphic

The above pic will be the wiring diagram that we will start with first. You need to gain access to the headlamp switch connector.

The should be 12 volts on the red and light green wire at the headlamp switch connector. If okay then turn the headlamps on and see if 12 volts comes out on the light green wire. This circuit then leads to the highbeam switch mounted on the column. You will need to gain access to the connector for this as well. Once you have access to this then make sure all the wiring is firmly seated in the connector.

Check these items and then let me know what you find.

If this answers your question then please press ACCEPT. If you need more help then let me know. Thanks.

vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience: gold certified, dodge viper certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK I will check this out and get back to you.
Not a problem. Im about to call it a night. I will be back on line in the morning and will help you further. Let me know everything you find out and then I will help you further until the problem is solved.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. I have 12V on the light green wire going into the high beam switch. Did not take out the dash yet to check 12V on the red wire going into the headlight switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. I have 12V on the light green wire going into the high beam switch. Did not take out the dash yet to check 12V on the red wire going into the headlight switch. R/O wire appears to be shorted to ground when checked at multifunction switch connector. Bypassing multifunction switch with a jumper wire between LG and R/O does nothing, as expected. All wires to passenger side light appear to be shorted to ground (with multifuction switch connector unplugged). I think that I have a short to ground somewhere in engine compartment.

So the circuit leading up to the high beam switch checks good at this point. If there was a short anywhere the fuse would be blown. There is no speration of driver or passenger side lights at the highbeam switch in the wiring diagram so Im not sure why you think the passenger side lights are shorted to ground. The circuit goes into the highbeam switch on the light green wire. When on low beam, 12 volts comes out on the violet and white wire when the headlamp switch is on and the high beam 12 volts comes out on the red and orange wire when the high beams are turned on. Make sure you check both of these using the multimeter. I know you said you jumped the light green and read and orange but please check the low and high beam like I stated using the multimeter so that I can see where we need to go next. The reason I ask you to check it exactly the way I describe is so that I can keep the same path in my mind for checking it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Will do as you request.

Just to clarify, I jumped the LG to R/O across the connector block to see if the high beam would light, but nothing. I checked the resistance of the R/O to ground at the connector block without a bulb and the R/O is connected to ground. I checked the bulb connector on the passenger side and the B, R/O and V/W are all connected to ground.

I have owned the vehicle since new and have not made any modifications to the wiring. My daughter has been driving this vehicle and has told me that the headlights would die periodically while driving then come back on.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Will do as you request.

Just one other fact. Flashers work as do parking lights and turn indicators. Fog lights work, but do not go out on high beam. High beam light does not illuminate.

The red and orange wire is for both high beams....not just the passenger side. So if you still had the drivers side bulb in you would show a ground on that circuit. Plus as mentioned, if it was shorted the fuse supplying the light green wire would be blown. Plus let me know about the readings coming out the switch on the low beam circuit which is the violet and white. As mentioned, this circuit feeds both sides, so once again, checking it at the passenger side would show a ground if the drivers bulb was still in.

The circuit from the high beam switch goes from there to the headlamps.

graphic

So please check the low beam and high beam circuits at the highbeam switch with it plugged in. I need to know the voltage readings so that I can point you in the next direction. Because if voltage is present but still not at the bulbs themselves, I will have to have you check other connectors inbetween. Thats why I need to know the voltage readings.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I will. It is a little difficult to do since there is no easy access to bare wire.
All you need to do is just back probe the connector. You can use a paper clip or try to piece the wire itself. Just be careful to not touch anything metal when checking if using a paper clip.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tests show no voltage on either R/O or V/W wires. Both bulbs were removed (Do you want them in?). This is great fun on a cold MN winter's night.

If 12 volts is going in on the light green wire as you say and not comign out on the red and orange or the violet and white then we have an issue with the switch. Here is a picture of the high beam switch connector so that we can be sure your checking the correct circuits.

MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH
CAVCIRCUITFUNCTION
1V9 18WT/BKWIPER SWITCH MODE SIGNAL
2V8 18VTWIPER SWITCH MODE SIGNAL
3V10 18BRWIPER SWITCH MODE SIGNAL
4V6 16DB/BKFUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT (ACC/RUN)
5V4 16RD/YLWIPER SWITCH HIGH SPEED OUTPUT
6V3 18BR/WTWIPER SWITCH LOW SPEED OUTPUT
7V7 18DG/WTWIPER PARK SWITCH SENSE
8V17 18DGWIPER SWITCH DELAY OUTPUT
9V3 18BR/WTWIPER SWITCH LOW SPEED OUTPUT
10--
11L60 18TN/BKRIGHT TURN SIGNAL
11L60 20TN/BKRIGHT TURN SIGNAL
12L62 18BR/PKRIGHT REAR TURN SIGNAL
13L19 18PK/WTHAZARD FLASHER OUTPUT
14L50 18WT/TNSTOP LAMP SWITCH OUTPUT
15L63 18DG/RDLEFT REAR TURN SIGNAL
16L61 18LG/YLLEFT TURN SIGNAL
16L61 20LG/YLLEFT TURN SIGNAL
17L6 18RD/GYTURN SIGNAL FLASHER OUTPUT
18L4 16VT/WTDIMMER SWITCH LOW BEAM OUTPUT
19L2 16LGHEADLAMP SWITCH OUTPUT
20L3 16RD/ORDIMMER SWITCH HIGH BEAM OUTPUT
21L20 16LG/WTFUSED B(+)
22--
23--
24--

Terminals 18, 19, and 20 are the ones we need to be worring about.

Keep in mind that this is all based on what your telling me that you checked. Can there be more than one issue....possibly but not very likely, however not impossible. You can also to be 100% sure, can test for continuity at the switch with it removed and the connector removed. There should be continuity between either 18 and 19 or 19 and 20 depending on the high beam switch position. If no continuity then the switch will need to be replaced. Make sure also that all three of these wires are fully seated in the connector. With the connector removed, look make sure they are fully in the connector.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
New results. First the multifunction switch. The impedance changes from high to low on both 19-18 and 20-19 with the high/low beam switch. Next the connector. One internal female contact (19) was pushed back too far for a good connection. Now I get 0V or 13.78V on V/W. R/O is odd in that I get 0.2V from pin 20 on the female connector when unplugged. When plugged into the multifunction switch I also get 0.2V.

So is the low beams now working now that the #19 is fully seated? I assume the 0V or 13.78 on V/W is from moving the switch to high beam and back?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
These results are with both bulbs removed. The 0V or 13.78V on V/W is from moving the switch to high beam and back. I will run the test again with both bulbs installed.

Good, I have a feeling they will now start working

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I put the bulbs back and the V/W line is pulled down from 13.78V to 0V and no light..!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. I will attack this again in the morning.
You may need to use a test light at this point so that we can check everything with a load (test light) on it. The 13 volts may just be residual voltage that when under a load drops to zero. The test light will varify this. Check the light green first with the test light and then recheck the low and high beams. If you dont have a test light, they are cheap to purchase.