Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

2001 Dodge Ram 1500, brake lights do not work I have installed

2001 Dodge Ram 1500, brake lights do not work I have installed a new brake light switch and brake light fuse above left front fender, this also affects me not getting power to my brake controller for a trailer. Brake controller will work when applied manually but must not be getting power from brake lite switch. Is there another fuse?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 8 years ago.
Customer welcome to Just Answer!.

I see Fuse 5 (20 amp) underhood in the Power Distribution Center (PDC), the location you mentioned as the power feed for your brake lamp switch. Next to it (Fuse 4) is the signal circuit feed, which then feeds Fuse 10 (10 amp) in the INSIDE fuse block the Junction Block.

If your signals work OK, the better part of your brake lamp circuit also checks OK... the same bulb filament is shared by the brake and turn signal circuits.

The pink/ dark blue wire is the power feed to the stop lamp switch from underhood and should be always hot.

Output from the switch leaves via the white/ tan wire, which will split into three directions...

One goes to your brake controller (or SHOULD), another heads to the center high-mount stop lamp (CHMSL, above the rear glass) and the third heads to the multifunction switch, the turn signal/ dimmer/ windshield wiper-washer switch.

I'll stop there for now so you can let me know which way we need to go.

If you have signals to the rear of the truck, the rear lighting harnes circuit is good.
If the CHMSL lights up, the circuit is good THROUGH the stop lamp switch.

The CHMSL uses two bulbs, both of which are often burned out so don't be fooled if it simply doesn't light. It takes #922 bulbs, but a 194 can be used as a tester or use a test light/ voltmeter to check for pressed-pedal voltage.

Back to you!
Ed