Gordon
Gordon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12+ yrs dealer service experience, specializing in gas/diesel driveability and electrical diagnosis.
13519662

1998 DODGE RAM 3500: CUMMINS, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION..REBUILT..PCM

Customer Question

1998 DODGE RAM 3500, CUMMINS, AUTOMATIC           TRANSMISSION HAS BEEN REBUILT WITH BILLET AFTERMARKET TORQUE CONVERTER AND INTERNAL PARTS 1 YEAR AGO, NOW IT DOES NOT WANT TO SHIFT INTO HIGH GEAR, THERE IS NO SLIP JUST HUNTING BETWEEN GEARS, IT HAS BEEN TO A DODGE TECH NUMEROUS TIMES AND NO HELP, WHEN IT IS ACTING UP IF YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERIES FOR 20 MINUTES IT WILL SHIFT FINE FOR AWHILE OR SHUT IT OFF AND RESTART (SOMETIMES). FLUID IS CLEAN AND NOT BURNT, NO CODES IN PCM
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Gordon replied 8 years ago.
is your truck a 12 or 24 valve?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
24 valve turbo
Expert:  Gordon replied 8 years ago.

Does this sound like the condition you're experiencing?

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Some vehicles may experience a surge like condition while in 4th gear. This may be caused by the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) unlocking and locking when it should be consistently locked.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The TCC solenoid has been replaced. But I dont believe this is a surge. It is not shifting into 4th gear, the RPM's max out in what I believe is 3rd gear and you have to let off the throttle to finally get it to shift to 4th.
Expert:  Gordon replied 8 years ago.
Have you checked your throttle valve cable adjustment? If this cable is adjusted to short it can cause a delayed upshift condition.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Any advise on how to adjust or is it a trial and error adjustment?

Is it located on the injection pump?
Expert:  Gordon replied 8 years ago.

TRANSMISSION THROTTLE VALVE CABLE ADJUSTMENT

The transmission throttle valve is operated by a cam on the valve body throttle lever. The throttle lever is actuated by a cable connected to the engine throttle body lever A retaining clip at the engine-end of the cable is removed to provide for cable adjustment. The retaining clip is then installed back onto the throttle valve cable to lock in the adjustment.

A correctly adjusted throttle valve cable, will cause the throttle lever on the transmission to move simultaneously with the throttle body lever from the idle position. Proper adjustment allows simultaneous movement without causing the transmission throttle lever to move ahead of, or lag behind the throttle body lever.

THROTTLE VALVE CABLE ADJUSTMENT CHECK

1. Turn ignition key to OFF position.
  2. Remove air cleaner.
  3. Verify that throttle body lever is at curb idle position. Then verify that transmission throttle lever is also at idle (full forward) position.
  4. Slide cable off attachment stud on throttle body lever
  5. Compare position of cable end to attachment stud on throttle body lever:
    1. Cable end and attachment stud should be aligned (or centered on one another) to within 1 mm (0.039 in.) in either direction.
    2. If cable end and attachment stud are misaligned (off center), cable will have to be adjusted as described in following procedure.
  6. Reconnect cable end to attachment stud. Then with aid of a helper, observe movement of transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body.
    1. If both levers move simultaneously from idle to half-throttle and back to idle position, adjustment is correct.
    2. If transmission throttle lever moves ahead of, or lags behind throttle body lever, cable adjustment will be necessary. Or, if throttle body lever prevents transmission lever from returning to closed position, cable adjustment will be necessary.

THROTTLE VALVE CABLE ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE

1. Turn ignition switch to OFF position and shift into Park.
  2. Remove Trottle bellcrank cover.
  3. Disconnect cable end from attachment stud on throttle bellcrank. Carefully slide cable off stud. Do not pull or pry cable off.
  4. Verify that transmission throttle lever is in idle (full forward) position. Then be sure lever on throttle body is at curb idle position.
  5. Insert a small screwdriver under edge of retaining clip and remove retaining clip.
  6. Center cable end on attachment stud to within 1 mm (0.039 in.)
  7. Install retaining clip onto cable housing.
  8. Check cable adjustment. Be sure transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body move simultaneously and as described in cable adjustment checking procedure.

Expert:  Gordon replied 8 years ago.

Sorry I meant to upload this pic with my answer post. Hereis a pic of the throttle position sensor/cable attaching point.graphic

These are the proceedures from the dodge shop manual let me know if you stil hsve the problem or if it has changed in any way.

Thanks for using JA!!!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will try that and let you know...Thank you
Expert:  Gordon replied 8 years ago.
No problem If you need anymore specs or info on your truck, just let me know I'm here to help when I can.