vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified

2.4: TIMMING..BELT TENSIONER..NOT THE LOCK PIN TYPE..YEAR 2006

Customer Question

TIMMING BELT TENSIONER PRE LOAD 2.4 DUAL OVERHEAD CAM.TENSIONER IS NOT THE LOCK PIN TYPE? YEAR 2006
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

What model of Dodge are you working on and what is it you are trying to do?

Thanks,

JB

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
REPLACING TIMMING BELT ON DODGE 2.4 DUAL OVERHEAD ENGINE. BELT TENSIONER IS OEM STYLE WITH NO LOCK PIN.IT HAS A CAM WITH A PLATE ON THE PULLEY OUTSIDE WITH A HOLE FOR A 1/4 INCH TORQUE WRENCH TO SET BELT TENSION. NEED TO KNOW HOW MANYT INCH POUNDS TO SET IT AT . LOOKS SOME WHAT LIKE THE 2.0 ENGINE.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

Got it. I will attach the information.

If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,

JB

TIMING BELT TENSIONER & PULLEY

REMOVAL

1. Remove the timing belt.

Fig. 118

1. Remove timing belt idler pulley (Fig. 118).

Fig. 119

1. Hold camshaft sprocket with Special Tool 6847 while removing bolt (Fig. 119). Remove both cam sprockets.

Fig. 120

1. Remove rear timing belt cover fasteners and remove cover from engine (Fig. 120).

Fig. 121

1. Remove lower bolt attaching timing belt tensioner assembly to engine and remove tensioner as an assembly (Fig. 121).

INSTALLATION

1. Align timing belt tensioner assembly to engine and install lower mounting bolt but do not tighten (Fig. 121). To properly align tensioner assembly-install one of the engine bracket mounting bolts (M10) 5 to 7 turns into the tensioner's upper mounting location (Fig. 121).
  2. Torque the tensioner's lower mounting bolt to 61 Nm (45 ft. lbs.) . Remove the upper bolt used for tensioner alignment.
  3. Install rear timing belt cover and fasteners. Torque fasteners to values specified in (Fig. 120).
  4. Install timing belt idler pulley and torque mounting bolt to 61 Nm (45 ft. lbs.) . (Fig. 118).
  5. Install camshaft sprockets. Use Special Tool 6847 to hold sprockets (Fig. 119), torque bolts to 115 Nm (85 ft. lbs.) .
  6. Install the timing belt.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
SORRY THIS IS NOT THE ANSWER I AM LOOKING FOR. THE BELT IS INSTALLED AND TIMING OF BELT AND ALL SPROKETS IS DONE. HOWEVER THE BELT TENSIONER LOOK NOTHING LIKE THE ONES IN ALL MY SERVICE MANUALS. THE TENSIONER IS A SPRING LOADED STYLE. THE FACE PLATE ON IT AS STATED BEFOR HAS A 1/4 INCH SQUARE HOLE TO ACCEPT A TORQUE WRENCH. I NEED TO KNOW HOW MUCH PRE LOAD TO PLACE ON THE TENSIONER SPRING WITH THE TORQUE WRENCH. THIS TENSIONER DOES NOT HAVE AN ACCESS TO LOCK IT IN WHEN REMOVED TO RETAIN ORIGINAL PRE LOAD FOR REASSEMBLY. MODEL DODGE STRATUS 2006 2.4 DUAL OVERHEAD CAM ENGINE.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
LOST CONNECTION PLEASE RETRY
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Sorry I checked two differen sources and got the same answer. I will opt out for another expert to help.
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 5 years ago.
Customer....Please take a look at the following pic to see if this is the same tensioner that you are speaking of.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YES' WHAT IS THEPROCEDURE FOR SETTING IT? SORRY FOR THE DELAY I HAD A CUSTOMER TO ATTEND TO.

Insert Allen wrench (3) into the hexagon opening located on the top plate (2) of the belt tensioner pulley. Rotate the top plate (2)COUNTERCLOCKWISE. The tensioner pulley will move against the belt and the tensioner setting notch (1) will eventually start to move clockwise. Watching the movement of the setting notch (1), continue rotating the top plate (2) counterclockwise until the setting notch is aligned with the spring tang (6). Using the allen wrench (3) to prevent the top plate (2) from moving, torque the tensioner lock bolt (4) to 25 N·m (220 in. lbs.). Setting notch (5) and spring tang (6) should remain aligned after lock bolt (4) is torqued.

graphic

If this answers your question then please press ACCEPT. If you need more help then let me know. Thanks.

vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience: gold certified, dodge viper certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

JB;

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, I HAVE DONE SEVERAL BELTS ON THE 2.4 BUT NEVER WITH A TENSIONER SET UP LIKE THIS. I WILL FILE THIS AWAY FOR THE FUTURE .

If you ever need more help just let us know. Thanks again