sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2001 Dodge Ram 2500: voltage..volt gauge, lights..dim..heater blower

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel with voltage problem. When I start the truck, the voltage is low by looking at volt gauge, lights are dim and heater blower runs slow. After running this truck for 2-5 minutes, voltage comes up and the lights and heater blower are normal. Bad alternator or regulator?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.

Hi. This is a normal condition in cold weather. Your truck does not use glow plugs. It uses an intake air heater and a fuel heater to help cold weather starting and warm up. When you turn the key on when its cold the wait to start light comes on. After it goes out you start the truck. A few seconds later the intake heater will come back on, it may do this a few times. The fuel heater may come on and off at random too, it likes to keep the fuel close to 70 degrees. These two heaters are a huge electrical load, and they will dim the lights, slow the blower motor, and the charging gauge will dip down. If you actually have a charging system problem your battery light will come on, possibly the check engine light. If you see the battery or engine light let me know and we'll see what's going on with that.