Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
12104952

My 2004 Dodge neon makes a front grinding noise while speeding

Customer Question

My 2004 Dodge neon makes a front grinding noise while speeding up and take some bumps. Now it does it even when there is no bump.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

One of the most common front end issues with these Neons is the lower control arm bushings. The ones in question are the rear ones.......as opposed to the front ones.

The bushings have a tendency to separate and cause the control arm to contact and rub on the frame.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I noticed those bushings are worn out but I didn't imagine that would be the cause of the grinding. The grinding only occurs when accelerating. Would this be related? It almost sounds like the tire is hitting the inner fender but in the front but this happens when I accelerate. For example. I am parked and then turn on the engine, put it on drive and accelerate enough to feel the suspension working then I hear the sound. it stops when I release the accelerator. The sound feels like there are moving parts and not just a contect with two metal parts.
Well, if you have in fact found the bushings are worn out this is an OBVIOUS problem. Is it causing the noise, hard to say, but any obvious problems should be corrected first.
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience: 24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
only the front arm bushings were worn out but all the engine support bushings were out as well. There was also a workn out bushing on some part that holds the transmission or something. It all came out to $1400 and now there are no issues. Thanks for your help.
You're welcome.